Moodle Install Error: generalexceptionmessage

Moodle Install Error: generalexceptionmessage

by Hannes Wagner -
Number of replies: 4
Good day,
I just wanted to update Moodel for my company from version 3.10 to version 4.3. Unfortunately, I now the following error occurred and I do not know exactly what the reason is, because I download the zip exactly from Moodle. Can it be that my PHP version is not correct? Currently I still have the php version 7.2, is that too old for the Moodle version 4.3 or do I just have to change the lines as described in the error?

Best regards
Hannes Wagner
Attachment Bild.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hannes Wagner

Re: Moodle Install Error: generalexceptionmessage

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yes, your PHP version is incorrect, and that is causing your error. The Moodle 4.3 release notes say:

PHP version: minimum PHP 8.0.0 Note: minimum PHP version has increased since Moodle 4.1. PHP 8.2.x is supported too.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Hannes Wagner -
All right, thanks! Then I'll try it with the PHP update. smile
In reply to Leon Stringer

by Precious Kapfunde -
hi,
I am also facing the same challenge, but when I tried to upgrade PHP version it is saying that i am I  have installedthe latest version of which its 7.4 not 8. Can you please assist me

In reply to Precious Kapfunde

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

If the highest PHP version available to you is PHP 7.4 then the latest version of Moodle you can run is Moodle 4.1. See this table of which versions of Moodle work with which versions of PHP.

If you wish to run Moodle 4.2 or later then you must install PHP 8.0, 8.1 or 8.2. If your web server is managed by a hosting provider contact their helpdesk for help upgrading PHP. If you have set up your own web server please provide details of the operating system and its version we will try to help.

Please start a new discussion thread if you need further help with this.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)