Password policy and authentication plugins

Password policy and authentication plugins

by Stuart Anderson -
Number of replies: 3
We currently use three types of authentication in our moodle environment.

1. manual accounts
  2. LDAP (which may move to CAS+LDAP)
  3. LTI
Does the password policy enforce password rules across all authentication plugins or just manually created accounts? 

For example, if the password policy rules are more strict than the external rules that govern our LDAP password strength, would LDAP authentication be blocked for some users where their LDAP password doesn't meet the internal moodle password policy?

Thanks,

Stuart

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stuart Anderson

Ri: Password policy and authentication plugins

by Sergio Rabellino -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
AFAIK Moodle password policy rules apply only to the accounts that get their password changed through Moodle itself (e.g. manual accounts).
These policy does not apply to external authentication methods (eg. ldap or lti) and if the external password does not comply, it's a matter of the external authentication provider.
The usage of Moodle is not affected and users are not blocked.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stuart Anderson

Re: Password policy and authentication plugins

by Brett Dalton -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Moodle has no visibility of an LDAP password ever, it's an external authentication system. LTI doesn't use a password at all, it's handled in the calling system. So in both cases Moodle password policies cannot affect those systems.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Brett Dalton

Re: Password policy and authentication plugins

by Stuart Anderson -
Thank you. This makes a lot of sense. I was pretty confident it couldn't apply for LTI due to the way it works. For LDAP I was fairly confident it couldn't apply, but I noticed there was a settings for LDAP password caching (which we don't use). Needed to be certain there was nothing unexpected going on.

Cheers.