Is there a way to change the military time format to 12-hour format

Is there a way to change the military time format to 12-hour format

by Sali Kaceli -
Number of replies: 11
Is there a way to change the military time format to 12-hour format sitewide for all activities
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sali Kaceli

Re: Is there a way to change the military time format to 12-hour format

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Sali,

In Site administration > Appearance > Calendar there's a setting Time display format (calendar_site_timeformat) which allows you to set a 12-hour format for the site.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Sali Kaceli -
Hi Helen, 
Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, it still does not work. I had the Calendar set to 12-hour (am/pm). I also changed it temporarily to default and back to 12-hour with no result. I am obviously setting this as admin. 

Here is what it looks like in the assignment module. 

The preferred language is set to English (United Stated) (en_us) in the profile area and for the site. 

The Calendar Preferences in the profile area is set to 12-hour (am/pm)

Any other suggestions? 

In reply to Sali Kaceli

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
What are the locales the server supports? In Unix boxes the command locale will show the list.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Sali Kaceli -
In reply to Sali Kaceli

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Are you talking about the display of the times for students - or about when setting deadlines for teachers? WIth 12 hour format set and my language set to en_us I do see the deadlines displayed in the 12 format with am and pm. But when setting up an assignment I always see the 24 hour clock - I am not sure I have ever seen an option to set assignment times with an am and pm option? But hopefully someone else will know better.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sali Kaceli -
I am talking about the setting up of the assignments. Some faculty complain that that it is the 24 hour clock. 
In reply to Sali Kaceli

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Sali,

As a Moodle site administrator, you can configure the date and time strings in the langconfig language file of the language pack for your language. This can be done by using the built-in language editor in Moodle by navigating to Site administration > Language > Language packs.

A list of the date/time format codes can be found on the following page:

https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.strftime.php

Hope you find this useful.

Best regards,

Michael Milette

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Michael Milette

by Sali Kaceli -
Hi Michael, 

Thanks for the input. Any idea which setting will actually control this. I experimented with the following to no avail. 

I also verified that the course is using the English United States language pack.

In reply to Sali Kaceli

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Those strings only affect the display of dates and time, not the input.
In reply to Michael Milette

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Michael

Me too, can't find the solution. This is where I am:

Under the Show strings:

Where to go from there? Of course I entered wild things like %Y %M in to the box, with no effect on time display.

P.S. Making matters worse, https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.strftime.php brings:

May be, you meant to get the date format codes from that page. Moodle has probably moved on.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
It's weird that those boxes don't show where the strings are coming from

moodle/course/modedit.php?update=110&return=1&strings=1

It has something to do with some string, probably in langconfig, where a captial H should be replaced by a small h
h    hour, 12-hour format; i.e. "01" to "12"
H    hour, 24-hour format; i.e. "00" to "23"

And may be adding
a    am or pm
A    AM or P

Which language pack are you using?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)