Moodle Installation for 10000 users and 1500 concurrent users

Moodle Installation for 10000 users and 1500 concurrent users

by Shoaib Arif -
Number of replies: 4
Hello I am working on a project where I need to Install moodle for 10000 users and 1500 concurrent users who could I calculate my Hardware requirements like web server and database server hardware specs and which type of database would I prefer for this specific installation also if I could get any link where this type of system is already running would be very helpful for me
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Shoaib Arif

Re: Moodle Installation for 10000 users and 1500 concurrent users

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm moving this to the Hardware and Performance forum.

Also, we don't know. It might be useful to read through similar past questions. The issue is that it entirely depends on what these users are doing. And... you said 10,000 to 1,500 concurrent users, so I think you have missed or added a zero somewhere. Even then, those are big numbers and I would, firstly, ask you to justify them and, secondly, ask you to think about contacting a Moodle Partner who is experienced in running large Moodle installations like that.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I work for an organisation that sets up Moodle sites with large numbers of concurrent users, that specification will not be inexpensive.  In addition to normal use, if you have a large number of users taking a quiz (or similar activity) at the same time that would typically require a surge in resources with a significant cost.  Do you have a budget?

In reply to Shoaib Arif

by James Steerpike -
This is a frequently asked question on a forum for Hardware and Performance and is unlikely to come up with a quantitative recommendation.
What I may be able to point you to is how you might measure your server requirements. I think the most stress your server will be under is a quiz, as they are both demanding and the most likely times you will have a large number of simultaneous users. Slowness and failure in a graded test is also going to be a bigger problem than for most other situations.
Yamaguchi University has a test plan on Github which loads 1000 users, so 1 to a 1000 threads  login and complete a 20 question quiz. On a local KVM Ubuntu server (2 CPU, 4G) the performance seems acceptable at 100 to 200 concurrent users. On my underpowered  cloud tinkerbox, it can't handle more than 5 users. Not sure how this relates to actual  users as the jmeter does not have to render pages but it is a start.
The advice to consider a Moodle partner is a good one. A decent server will not come cheap and good advice up front could save you money.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)