Enrollment Design Questions

Enrollment Design Questions

by Symon Valravn -
Number of replies: 1
Hi all, 

Relatively new to Moodle here and working on creating a Moodle environment for a small arts academy. There are a couple of requirements I would like to add in, and have been encountering a relative drought of information (or maybe haven't been looking in the right place!). I am interested in figuring out the following: 
1. Our academy is based on a credit system. Students enroll, and may take a maximum of 10 credits at a time. Each course has a number of credits associated with it. I have been working with https://moodle.org/plugins/enrol_credit plugin, but the issue is that students do not really 'purchase' credits -- they can just be at a maximum of 10 credits at any point in time. Has anyone found a better solution for this sort of set up? 

2. Our academy is based on levels/grades. Once students have completed X number of credits of 100 level courses, they become eligible to also take 200 level courses, and so forth. Has anyone found a way to set this up? I am wondering if this could be done with the cohort system. 

3. Finally, we have a fairly complicated set of course pre-requisites. Has anyone found a simple way to say that eg Art 400 has a prereq of needing courses Art 300 and Studio 250 completed before you can enroll? It seems like this aspect might better be handled by a student information system that links to Moodle -- if we can't do it any Moodle, does anyone have any suggestions on SIS that link to moodle and are relatively inexpensive? We are a fairly small institution at the moment, although looking to expand with our online presence. 

Thanks in advance! 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Symon Valravn

Re: Enrollment Design Questions

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
1.  You could just set up an extra course field for Credit Hours.  Then you should be able to use something like Configurable Reports to create a report that shows how many credit hours a student has.  We do this so that we can add credit hours to a certificate.
2. The course field for credit hours probably wouldn't help with this.  But if you put the students into a 200 level cohort, you can set self-enrollment to limit to that cohort.
3. There is a plugin for this.  Search for enrol_coursecompleted in the plugins database.

I think you could do this in moodle if you are willing to think out of the box a little.  Search the plugins database and google each thing you are trying accomplish.  Also, you might be able to pay someone to write a plugin for you if you don't find one already that meets your needs.