Assignment in the form of PDF file

Assignment in the form of PDF file

by Zdeněk Hurák -
Number of replies: 7
Hello,

I would like to use "Assignments" to assign homework to my students. However, I have these assignments in the form of PDF files. As I use quite lot of math formulas, graphs and diagrams, I don't like the idea of converting them to web format, which is currently supported by "Assignments".

I there any clean solution? Apart from linking the PDF file from within the page?

Thanks,
Zdenek Hurak
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zdeněk Hurák

Re: Assignment in the form of PDF file

by Miroslav Fikar -
Ahoj Zdenek,
students can upload a single file and it can be anything, even pdf. But if on-line assignment is preferred, they can use TeX syntax (with TeX filter turned on).
Miro

In reply to Miroslav Fikar

by Zdeněk Hurák -
Thanks, Miro. But what I actually ment was PDF format of an assignment (wrtiten by the assigning teacher), not the student's work done in response to this assignment. I noticed, that on your Moodle site you simply put the text of the assignment in the web format, which makes is rather clumsy to read. I want to avoid this and publish PDF assignment (full of equations, graphs, diagrams).

By the way, it is nice "meating you here" as my decision to use Moodle was much inspired by your work. smile
In reply to Zdeněk Hurák

by Peter ŠŠlapanský -
Maybe if you explained your idea of what a clean solution could be in this case, it could help you get some more feedback on this one.

Btw., what's the problem with linking to PDF files from within a page?

It wouldn't be much of a problem with charts, diagrams and formulas if all widespread browsers would decently support MathML and SVG out of the box.
You can, however, use SVG and MathML players to play your content. I haven't tried a MathML player yet, I don't have much time to play with MathML, but it could be worth it in your case.
The advantages would be that these are w3c standards, they are pure text files and they can be relatively easily embedded directly into xml and xhtml documents.

Hope this helps a bit.
In reply to Zdeněk Hurák

by James Ballard -
Why not set the PDF as a resource providing the information, and use the assignment module to collect submissions (see attached image). In one sense it splits the assignment into two parts, but that seems to be the case anyway. You have to read the requirements and questions before you can begin work on submitting an answer anyway so why try to combine the two when it makes things complicated.

Then the HTML instructions for the assignment can be a reminder of submission guidelines, such as details to be included and a final check for the students.

I can't see an obvious way of using a PDF without it being linked to from somewhere unless you play with iframes, which may allow you to embed the file via the HTML editor if that is your aim.
Attachment pdf.gif
In reply to James Ballard

by Zdeněk Hurák -
That sounds reasonable. I did consider this way with linking PDF from within the assignment web page. I just wanted to check if this is Moodle way. Thanks.