How to disable the versioning of questions?

How to disable the versioning of questions?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 35
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
[Moodle 4.1]

How can I disable the versioning of questions?

We are entering questions from scratch in large scale by less experienced people. Means a lot of iterations, testing, etc. It is absurd to have all those micro-steps archived. On top of that it is confusing because one is never sure which version of the question one is testing.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: How to disable the versioning of questions?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Tim will probably know better than I do, but from following the changes to the quiz engine in Moodle 4, I would say "no," that versioning cannot be turned off. However, you might have a good case for a feature request.

Versioning seems to be an added layer of complexity. I think it was added with a purpose in mind, such as allowing for different quiz versions using different versions of a question. So it could be a powerful new feature, which is still fixing some identified problems via Tracker.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

Rick, not that I'm unaware of the history, https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=417599#p1693656, in fact even participated. This is the first time I'm actually confronted with this feature. I'm sure there are workflows available for simple users like me and my current group.

by Rick Jerz -
I have thought a little more about "versioning," and I would say that in the past, questions could be revised numerous times. So, folks wanted to somehow track the versions of questions. This is perhaps why versioning was added. I can see the advantages and disadvantages.

When you create a quiz, I think you are able to designate that you always use the "latest version" of a question.
In reply to Rick Jerz

Rick, as I've already mentioned, I know the history of the versioning. I am not here to discuss its for and against. What I'm asking is whether that feature can be disabled in a site.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mrs. Summers -
How many versions of the same quiz will be kept? Do we have a choice to delete all old versions? I build my quizzes insitu and can end up with multiple versions (could end up with 100's of versions) of the quiz and I worry about cluttering up old database. If I needed to make a slightly different version, I can do that manually. May I say this versioning of quiz is not helpful at all.
In reply to Mrs. Summers

> If I needed to make a slightly different version, I can do that manually.

Made me thinking. I think this illustrates how differently teachers and developers think.

For a teacher, these two questions are two (slightly different) versions of the same question. For the developer they are two conflicting duplicates of the same question:
1. What is the nearest planet to the Sun?
a. Mercury b. Mars c. Venus

2. What is the nearest planet to the Sun?
a. Mercury b. Mars c. Pluto

For the teacher this is one question. The old one was wrong, therefore discarded. The developer, who thinks in terms of versioning (like CVS, Git,..) they are two versions of the same question:
Old. What is the nearest planet to the Sun?
a. Mars b. Venus c. Jupiter (Problem. No correct answer.)

New. What is the nearest planet to the Sun?
a. Mercury b. Mars c. Pluto

I know, I know. The ship has sailed.

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

As far as I know, no, it cannot be disabled, at least in the current Moodle versions. It's probably a little confusing at first, but you get used to it if you are careful. This is a function that will be fully appreciated when you have to go back because you made mistakes in the last edit(s).

In reply to Dominique Bauer

Re: How to disable the versioning of questions? [CLOSED]

[CLOSED]

Hi Dominique and Rick

Thanks for confirming that there is no disable button. We'll continue working and see how we cope with it.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I think you can hide it - a little bit - by disabling the Question history plugin though from Site admin > Plugins > Question bank plugins? You won't see it on the question bank page then but if you edit a question it will still show which version it is as you edit it.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Apparently Question history can be disabled in the Question bank. See Re: Problem with version question. Or, is it a different thing?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That just disables the screen where you can see the question history. It does not change what happens when questions are edited and versions are created.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Thanks for the clarification! Enabled it - better to know what is going on with the versions.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
As others have said, this feature cannot be disabled.

What I am wondering is: how is this causing a problem to your users? By default, the latest version of a question is used. What do you need that cannot be achieved just by ignoring the existance of the versionning feature, even though behind the scenes, Moodle is silently keeping each version of each question?
In reply to Tim Hunt

Hi Tim

The problem is that none of us is familiar with the built-in mathematical question types. We have a large number of raw material (paper-based) to convert to quiz types. We are busy with the subject itself and how to bend each question to fit to a given question type. See for example the discussion Are Calculated and Calculated simple question types multi-part? This versioning brings an unwelcome complexity to the picture. We are editing the questions and testing them as fast as possible. When things don't go the way we expect, we are never sure whether an old version is interfering us!

In our workflow so far, we never edit one another's questions. Each develops his questions independently. Obviously, when we talk/think of a question, we mean the latest version!

May be Mary's hint above could be a compromise. I better go back there than talking here.

BTW, I hope, the versioning is linear, not branching per "owner" or some other factor. ;)

Moodle version 4.1 (LTS), kept updated.

by Tim Hunt -

Versionning is linnear. (If you are familiar with wikis, then the way a wiki keeps a history of each page is similar.)

There are still some usability issues with this, which we are working on, for example

• MDL-75301 Question preview: add 'always latest' version option, and warn if question edited after preview started (fixed in 4.2.0, 4.1.3, 4.0.8)
  • MDL-76757 Cannot easily delete all versions of a question (fixed in 4.2.2 / 4.1.5, which should be out on 14th August)
  • MDL-77745 Anywhere a teacher views questions, display version information (fixed for 4.3)
  • MDL-78547 Teacher previews of a quiz: if a question has been edited since the preview started, update it (Not yet started)
If you are hitting confusion, that last one is most likely the cause (but, if you have other ideas for reducing the possibility of confusion - or just observations about what users are finding confusing, please let us know, so we can continue to improve it.) Thanks.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rick Jerz -
Tim, please add this one to your list.

MDL-78590 - Manual Grading Results Incorrect when Questions Are Updated - Version issue

I am going to be curious to see MDL-76757. In another Moodle.org topic (Visvanath's), "Are Calculated and Calculated simple question types multi-part?," we explored some "calculated" question types. Of course, some of these are a bit complex. While trying to develop a "calculated" question, I start simple and then revise the question as I experiment and try things. It took only a short time before I had 10 revisions of this question. The last version was the question that I wanted to keep since it worked. I wanted to delete all my experimental versions.

If I haven't said it before, I want you to know I like this "question versioning" feature.  Yep, there are still a few things to figure out, but I think it will become another very powerful Moodle Quizzing Engine feature.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Hi Tim

I know, this is a user level (my) problem. Since you were talking of usability, here is an example, first-hand, all happened this week.

I was called to repeat a course which I gave two years ago. It is an instructor-led, multiple session, on-line workshop. The original one was in Moodle 3.9 LTS, this time it is 4.1 LTS. This time it is also a different institution so I migrated the course content through course backup and restore. I update the text a lot, change images, screen-shots, etc. but these are never a problem.

The critical component is the quiz. Each session has an auto-graded quiz, not high-stake, rather as a teaching tool. Means, unlimited attempts are allowed, the highest grade counts, rather long, 15-25 questions each, and always the same questions, in the same order, no randomization. On the new site all worked straightaway, well, until the pilot students pointed out to me that certain questions need corrections. Basically, the sample user last time was like 03c123456, this time he is user000. Also rather than naming the three text files involved in those exercises knave.txt, queen.txt, etc. I decided to omit the file extension. They are now knave, queen, etc.

That is when the confusion started. When I review the quiz I see "Edit question" at each quesion. So I corrected a question. But the corrections didn't stick. Now I see, you've warned me of MDL-78547. But conducted the 5 session (5 week) course in 5 days as a crash course with my pilot "students" (who are the teaching assistants when the real course will be conducted). What I want to say is that we were moving at crash speed, so little reserves for the unexpected.

Anyway, then I saw the padlock sign next to the quiz in the course index, and thought that the attempts are blocking the editing and deleted all the attempts. That didn't make a difference though. Then went to the question bank and edited the question. No change in the quiz. Then came back to find that the question is in duplicate (version?). One of them is still in the original state. Another one has half the changes (sample user done but not file renaming dropping .txt). What I don't understand further is why all the questions have duplicates.

I know, I didn't get the changes to the quiz behaviour. My mind is frozen somewhere in the ice age. It didn't record the previous round of changes (to the question bank, 3.11?) either. But the good news is that the real course is in three weeks, I will somehow add a new "work-flow" to my collection, which won't melt in to my frozen mind. Which compels me to postpone the corrections, which is not a good thing.

by Tim Hunt -
Thank you for the feedback.

I also don't understand why you ended up with dupicate questions in the question bank. I can't think why that would happen, but clearly makes everything more confusing.

Apart from that, I think what you say confirms that getting MDL-78547 fixed is quite important (but I am afriad that does not necessarily mean anyone has time right now sad.)

I can't work out what you mean by "I saw the padlock sign next to the quiz in the course index" - could you do a screen-grab of something to help? Thanks.

Anyway, sorry that this caused you hassles. Hopefully both you can get more familiar with the new system, and we can make the system less confusing. Good feedback like this can only help with that. Thanks again.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Padlocks and other paraphernalia [OT]

Ah, the padlocks? Had a second look and ashamed and annoyed at the same time. There are many more padlocks, not only on the quiz. They are supposed to indicate that the activity is restricted:

Another classical example of why these "bulbs" distract. Moodle 4 UX designers have put a lot of effort in these paraphernalia. The worst one I am struggling with is the label "To do: Receive a grade". For me they are like the driving instructor holding the speed limit sign in front of your face - whatever is coming on your way!

[For those non-teachers: I want to my participants to do is the assignment. They are (young) adults and repeatedly telling them something as banal as that is an insult. The criteria for successful completion of the course have been communicated beforehand. Once they start the journey, they watch where you're going - they know what they have to do without going back to the original contract. Search for Course handbook or overview or definition or things like that.]

I know, I know, the UXers will tell us, look away, if I don't need all that. The difference is that the UX designer designs the looks and go to Hawaii. The teacher's eyes are fixed to the course hours and hours for weeks and months to come.

It is OT - and not your department either. I just had to vent, sorry!

Re: Padlocks and other paraphernalia [OT]

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
"They are (young) adults and repeatedly telling them something as banal as that is an insult."
I an not sure if I should be impressed with your young adults ability to recall obvious and banal information or touched by your belief that they can.

In reply to Marcus Green

Re: Padlocks and other paraphernalia [OT]

I am not sure if I should be impressed with your young adults ability to recall obvious and banal information or touched by your belief that they can.

LOL, that's a good one!

Frankly, you must have noticed that I am not counting 100% on their said abilities, otherwise I wouldn't have restricted the activities (and stayed away from those padlocks). It is not their fault, their minds has been trained to jump from one ping to the next pong. Each of my (weekly) units is sort of closed. I don't want them to jump between the activities at random.

You see, the world is not perfect - neither is our "To do: Receive a grade".
wink

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This is another case where having one or more small board computers set up to run various versions of Moodle would really come in handy. You could use an older version of Moodle from before question versioning was implemented. Once you have one or more questions ready, you could export it, then import to your latest Moodle production site. As to SBC's the Raspberry Pi4's are starting to get back to being available and another good option is the Orange Pi5. Either one of these set up on an internal network would work well for a small group of people like you describe. You could maybe even put access to it on the internet so your group could work from home, if they so desired. In fact from github you could probably get the "right" image of an older version of Moodbox for a Raspberry Pi, then you would not have to do hardly any installation and setup work.
In reply to AL Rachels

AL

Now you mention it, you'll be surprised: The whole project in which people from different state education institutions country-wide collaborate, run on RPi, a Pi 4 B 4G. We are lucky since the NREN of the country supports us. Until last week we had the production Moodle running 3.9 (LTS) and the staging instance running Moodle 4.1 (LTS). Since Raspberry Pi OS is Debian 11 "Bullseye", both Moodle LTS can run on parallel on the default PHP, which is 7.4. Since the institutions involved are either already in 4.x (LTS) or are on their way to 4.x, we decided to switch our prod. instance to 4.1 (LTS) only last week.

I have plenty of Moodle 3.9 (LTS) instances, or can even create a (reverse) staging Moodle version 3.9 (LTS) on the same server. But that will put too much load on the teachers involved.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Doug Phillips -
We are using Moodle 4.1 with the Boost theme. You asked how is this feature causing a problem. Here is my explanation.

We have a quiz with 8 questions that are randomly ordered for each student. The questions are in Ukrainian, but the students are seeing random questions in English from the versioning. My colleague, Tim Bahula, reported this issue two weeks ago.

I created the questions by overwriting the English with the Ukrainian translations. That may be part of the issue. The need is to display on the latest versions of the questions.

Thank you for your attention to this issue. We would welcome a work-around, if one exists, until the issue is resolved.

Doug Phillips, Horizon Education Network
In reply to Doug Phillips

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Have you tried clearing caches?
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Doug Phillips -
Are you referring to browser caches? If so, no, I have not. My colleague experienced the same thing, so I am not sure if that is the cause.
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Doug Phillips -
My colleague exported the question bank for the quiz, then imported it as a new question bank with a different name/category. Then created a new quiz and add the question(s) from the new question bank. That corrected the issue in the development course, but when we created a copy of the course on a different server, the issue reappeared. I just followed the same process and it appears that the questions are all displaying in the appropriate language.

Does this make sense to you all?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Robert Volker -
In our case (we have an online school), we use the 'Grader information' section of an Essay question to give the Markers grading information. Pre-Moodle 4, we could correct the Grader information when we wanted to fix a mistake in the grading information, but now we're unable to do that. The newer corrected version only displays the updated grading information on subsequent attempts, but that means that existing attempts are being graded with the incorrect grading information.

Is there any way to edit a specific version or is that no longer possible?
In reply to Robert Volker

by Tim Hunt -
I think this is the same as anything else:

If you want edits to a question to show up in an exstings attempt, you need to re-grade that attempt.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Robert Volker -
Thanks Tim, that solves it. We'll mark the submitted attempts for regrade if we update the grader information after they submit their attempt.

by Tim Hunt -
It would be good to find ways to improve the UX to make it more obvious to people that this is what you need to do. So far, the  only step we have taken is MDL-77745 in Moodle 4.3, which displays the version information to teachers whenever they view a question:

(I am not claiming that is sufficient, just a useful first step.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Robert Volker -
Might be too much, but could have a prompt when you save a new version (after editing an existing question) that says something along the lines of "Please note, you are about to create a new version of this question. If you want your edits to reflect for existing attempts, they will need to be regraded."

by Brett Dalton -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
@Robert given that ANY edit will create a new version and the use has no other option, this type of notification would drive people insane very quickly.

I don't see the connection to the new versioning of questions in Moodle 4.

by Brett Dalton -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
The old attempts will be associated to an older version of the question. you need to update that as tim has indicated previously which will require a regrade.