Turning an e-learning environment that once was closed into an open one

Turning an e-learning environment that once was closed into an open one

by Rafael Rodrigues -
Number of replies: 5

Hi you all!

It’s a pleasure to post my first question here.

I am someone in charge of our online employee training environment in the company. We have more than 30k employees registered using the platform and 115 courses available today.

Here’s the problem: our CEO decided to open up the environment for anyone to use, even people who don’t work for the company. His idea is that everyone with an email and a C.P.F (a kind of Social Number here in Brazil) can enroll and learn with our courses.

As I am newbie regarding Moodle based environments, I want to ask you guys these questions:

First of all: is it possible to transform a running platform that today is closed to people registered in our HR in an open system as it is my boss desire?

Second: where should I start with?

Third: what challenges and difficulties might I face during this process? Has anyone been through a situation like this?

Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rafael Rodrigues

Re: Turning an e-learning environment that once was closed into an open one

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
It should be fairly easy.
1. Open up self registration in authentication settings so that anyone can register for the site.
2. Add the self enrollment method to each course.
Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Rafael Rodrigues -
Hi Emma, thanks for your help.

After I followed your instructions, it worked like charm but now we are facing another problem... This is what is happening: we have here a rigid control over our employees' accomplishments on the platform. Unfortunately now they can retake the tests and improve their grades after the adjustments I've done.

So I want to develop a way for separate employees from students who are self enrolled. Perhaps creating cohorts or groups. Whenever some fellow registers in the environment on his own, he automatically goes to that group where all courses are available.

Is there a way to do this?

Ps. I really want to avoid using enrollment keys as we have a lot of potential old people users and would be best to make the process as easy as possible.

Really appreciate your help.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I am sure there is a way to do this but what is to stop your employees from just creating another account and practicing the tests that way?
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Rafael Rodrigues -
Well, today all users are registered with HR based on their C.P.F (a kind of a Social Number in Brazil) this number is unique per user and we use it to authenticate them in Moodle as well. We want to keep it that way, so no one will be abble to create duplicate subscriptions.

by Rafael Rodrigues -
After some time, I was forced to work on this issue.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do that?