Performance - simultaneous exams etc

Performance - simultaneous exams etc

by James Steerpike -
Number of replies: 4
My experience from a couple of years back is 2 to 300 students after class and up to 30 or so in class during a quiz was possible. So a teacher sized Moodle then.
DO has one trick. You pay by the hour so if you want to run a simultaneous exam for all your students you can dial up CPU and RAM to a thousand dollar a month level. Within hours, you can take it back down so you pay maybe $10 for the metered six hours.
I have thought of setting up 50 virtual users doing a quiz in Moodle to see performance. Has anyone done that?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Steerpike

Re: Which hosting do you recommend?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
@James
Moodle comes with ability to stress test using JMeter.

Site Admin -> Development
Make test course
and Make JMeter test plan

Don't run on a production (one that is setup already for courses and students using).

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by James Steerpike -
I did look at Jmeter some time ago.
An interesting project might be to set up a basic Moodle with a quiz on a cloud VPS. Assume say 20 multichoice questions and a real user will spend 30 seconds on each question. 
Would a classroom of users (maybe 30) be able to do the quiz at the same time with a single CPU and 1 GB?  Jmeter might be able to answer that question with reproducible results.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

In fact you have contributed a couple of threads on JMeter on H&P.

P.S. Don't you people think that this topic fits better to the H&P forum?

Re: Performance - simultaneous exams etc

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This has lost some context in being split. I think the original point was around what could be achieved with a "low cost" (say $20 per month) VPS deal. I paraphrase but I hope that captures the idea smile