My Moodle is growing fast.

My Moodle is growing fast.

by Rafia Irshad -
Number of replies: 7
Hello Everyone,

Our University is using Moodle 3.5 and Moodle data file and database is growing so fast. Currently, our Moodle data is 1.5 TB. According to analytics, its daily usage is 1 GB. On top of that recently 3 GB has been used over the weekend. Being the site administrator it is really hard for me. 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rafia Irshad

Re: My Moodle is growing fast.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Moodle is growing fast? That is a good thing!
smile

Seriously, the question is whether the growth is genuine or caused by an error. Genuine growth is users uploading more files. Errors situations are many, processes breaking leaving junk uncleared, for example. There is also a gray area. Like users taking backups and leaving them in the course. The next backup, could be an automated backup, taking backups of those backups!

You should investigate. This means system level access. An easy starting point could be the additional plug-in https://moodle.org/plugins/report_coursesize.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Rafia Irshad -
Thank you Visvanath. I have installed this plugin. I will shortly share the results with you.
In reply to Rafia Irshad

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You are welcome!

The results of that plug-in are only for you. i can't look at each file and tell you whether they are good or bad.
big grin

In reply to Rafia Irshad

by Brett Dalton -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Can you give an idea of the number of users and type of usage? do you have heavy usage of video?
In reply to Brett Dalton

by Rafia Irshad -
Hi Brett,

Thank you. As the file is saved in the content hash form. How can I check the usage of video?