Show hidden activities in student's Complete Report

by Peter Diedrichs -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Quite often teachers decide to hide activities, when grading or for other reasons. But hidden activites is not shown in a users Complete report for the course.
They should be shown, and marked as "Hidden to students".

This is an improvement suggestion in Moodle Trackerhttps://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-78645

Welcome to take part in voting and with any further thoughts / suggestions regarding this.

(I choose to post this in the forum to discuss teaching, since this issue involves the teaching and grading processes)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
If this MDL were implemented, I'd suggest it follow the course settings for "showing hidden sections" - like the dashboard, I'd prefer the user reports, complete reports, and outline reports to remain consistent and only show activities available to the student at that time (unless the course is set to show hidden sections with a message - then this would be a great way to have the hidden content appear to the end user with a "hidden" message.)

This way, content that is not for the student eyes will remain out of sight at all time if a teacher doesn't want them to see all possible/hidden content. Sometimes we have alternative content, or content a previous school years that we keep on-hand just in case, but we'd not want the students to see that those activists exist, if that makes sense.
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

Re: Show hidden activities in student's Complete Report

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I understand why some instructors want to hide activities. I also understand that hiding an activity or topic removes grades from the grade book. And I can't think my way through a method of implementing logic to hide activities or topics, but not grades.

However, as an alternative, topics can be collapsed in Moodle 4 and Boost. So this gives students individual control over hiding topics.
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Show hidden activities in student's Complete Report

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Whatever the teacher’s reason for hiding an activity (that might not be a graded one) I think it’s logical to show all what a student might have performed in the complete report. 

But maybe there should be a toggle, ”Show / Hide hidden activities”?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)