what are the tweaks required to do after installing a language pack in Moodle 3.3.2

what are the tweaks required to do after installing a language pack in Moodle 3.3.2

by Suresh Balodi -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,

I am adding a new language pack in a live LMS Portal [built on Moodle 3.3.2+ (Build: 20171006)] having number of languages already installed. I am new to the Moodle. I have installed the language pack manually, but what next I have to do, I am not getting way out. 

I know how to post Content via content selector for particular language using HTML code editor, but how to do changes in language filter menu I am not able to trace. 
I want to edit this Hindi (bd) to Boro (bd). 

Please help.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Suresh Balodi

Re: what are the tweaks required to do after installing a language pack in Moodle 3.3.2

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
1. This is such an old (2017) Moodle version....you really should think about starting the upgrade path...
2. How exactly did you do the manual install?
3. Did you clear caches?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: what are the tweaks required to do after installing a language pack in Moodle 3.3.2

by Suresh Balodi -
Thanks Emma,

1. Yes, after some expertise I will definitely upgrade to latest version
2. I have duplicated the already installed language directory with another name in the data (lang) directory as instructed on "Language packs". And after this an option has started appearing in the drop down menu as "Hindi (bd)". Now, I am looking for the file/option from where I can change the word Hindi in "Hindi (bd)" as Boro (bd).
3. No I haven't

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Suresh,

You can change the name 'Hindi' to 'Boro' as follows:

1. Go to Site admin > Language customisation.
  2. Select your language pack then click to open it for editing.
  3. On the next screen select langconfig.php as component and enter thislanguageint as string indentifier then click 'Show strings'.
  4. Enter your local customisation then click the button 'Save changes to the language pack'.

Alternatively, if you just want to give an existing language pack a different display name, an easy way to do this is via the setting 'Languages on language menu' (langlist) in Site admin > Language settings.

(Moderator note: As this is a language-related discussion, I am moving it to the Languages forum.)

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Suresh Balodi -
Thanks a lot Helen,

These steps will really help me, but since my last post I am encountering another problem. Now, am not able to open language customization pack of newly added/created Hindi (bd) [created by duplicating the Hindi (hi) folder in lang folder] and as well as the parent Hindi (hi) language pack. For the both the languages it is stucking like this

- Will purging files will help in this.
- Please guide me what are the steps are required to take to make a new language pack functional in this version of Moodle LMS.
- What is the procedure to add a new language manually? The Language I want to add have the same script as Hindi (hi). So, do I need to create a separate copy to use the same script for using it for a different language or there is some other way also?

thanks🙏

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Do you actually need two language packs, Hindi and Boro? If not, you can just rename the Hindi language pack to Boro and customise it.