Drive student engagement in Forums/Open Forums with UX enhancement

by Joe Kennedy -
Number of replies: 3
One reason students at my institution don't like online discussion Forums:  they look "old" or "clunky" or like "Web 1.0".
I posit that a change in the UX with Forums/Open Forums would make forums more inviting.

Does anyone know of plugins that seek to allow an optional, different UX?  If not, is this something worth placing in the discussion for development?

As one possible example:

• When you log in to the Moodle course with the activity, there are popups in speech bubbles with up to five of the most recent comments made on various Forums in the course
    • Imagine a "while you were gone...." notification from many apps with group-edited artifacts
    • The bubbles' colors could relate to the particular Forum/Open Forum
  • Instead of showing in a flow or outline format, each Forum appears more like a mind map - so if there is a Forum with five topics, then there are five bubbles that show up, with indicators that show how many threads and how many total responses haven't been read.  
    • Students click on a thread, and it magnifies/grows visually to fill the screen, with the central post's topic in a bubble, and surrounding bubbles showing the subject line of the first response/thread.  
    • Click on that to show all responses.
  • (not necessary, but possibly worth considering?) Login to the Moodle instance also has popup bubbles with a "While You Were Gone" label that show five most recent Forum/Open Forum posts from across all the users' courses
  • These views can be turned off by site, category, course, Forum, or by student.

I am not a graphic designer nor Web designer, so I am not wedded to this particular vision; I provide it merely as one example of a way we could present Forums in a potentially more engaging manner.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joe Kennedy

by Ross Lovell -
I have the same experience. Nobody at my school uses Forums and instead opts for Microsoft Teams. If I was able to create a Forum that functions like a Microsoft Teams Channel, that would be a huge improvement.
In reply to Ross Lovell

Re: Drive student engagement in Forums/Open Forums with UX enhancement

by Bob Gilmore -
Im kinda hoping the Matrix integration thats being developed for 4.x fills this use case. We're using discord for our conversations, primary because all of my teen/young adult students are all already on it and it's free, so the cost to my organisation is zero.

I'm hoping we can implement single activity courses with just matrix activities, but I havent seen how it works as of yet. The new course menu in 4.x will make my vision a little harder to implement as it no longer shows enrolled courses, but we'll see.
In reply to Joe Kennedy

Re: Drive student engagement in Forums/Open Forums with UX enhancement

by Przemek Kaszubski -
The very first thing I would add - regardless of any UX improvements - is to add the option to disable the (30 min or whatever the default wait time is set site-wide) edit time for students
I would also add the option to enable students to post-edit their posts, at any time.
The two above are hard to achieve even by tweaking permissions.
Also - I would enable private replies to private replies.
This way, a forum could become more lively - as the teacher wants it.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)