"Please wait until the assessments are evaluated..."

"Please wait until the assessments are evaluated..."

by Kristóf Csorba -
Number of replies: 5

Dear Moodle Community!

I am planning to apply the Workshop plugin for peer review during presentations with many students in several presentation sessions. I cannot make sure that all students will provide assessments, so after a deadline I want to switch to the “grading evaluation phase” so that all students can (should) give a score for all the received assessments. But when I switch to “grading evaluation phase”, Moodle tells the students "Please wait until the assessments are evaluated and the grades are calculated" as if it would still wait for the missing assessments. How can I make Moodle allow the evaluation even if some assessments are missing?

I have attached a screenshot of the teacher and student views. At this point, I would like the students to be able to evaluate the assessments they received.

Best wishes, Kristóf

Attachment Moodle_workshop_student_view.png
Attachment Moodle_workshop_teacher_view.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kristóf Csorba

Re: "Please wait until the assessments are evaluated..."

by Fabian Glagovsky -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Kristof. The phase in which the students peer review is the Assessment Phase. The Grading phase is for the instructor to first click on Re-calculate grades to get all the averages, and then do final retouches. But in that phase the students already cannot intervene.
You can go back to the assessment phase to let students use the assessment form that you have prepared to evaluate their peers.
And whenever everything is ready in the assessment phase, go back to the grading phase, click on recalculate, and then move to the Closed phase to publish the results to the gradebook.
Best,
Fabian
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Fabian Glagovsky

by Kristóf Csorba -
Thank you for your answer, Fabian! I seem to have misunderstood the functions of workshops. I thought students have an option to evaluate the received assessments one-by-one, but that is obviously not the case. Thank you again!

by Fabian Glagovsky -
Hi Kristof,
During the assessment phase you first allocate randomly a number of submissions to each student. You just need to click on Random allocation, choose how many submissions from other students each student will get (Start from 3 to a higher number) and they will click assess to assess each separately. And when all this is done or when you decide you have given them enough days to do it, just move to the grading phase, calculate automatically and if you want, perform adjustments (optional). Then close the workshop.
The evaluations of the peers will calculate according to the weights you set up in the assessment form and will be averaged.
Best and good luck!

In reply to Fabian Glagovsky

by Kristóf Csorba -
Thank you for the further details. One more question: if my groups have different student numbers and I want to have all submissions assessed by all students inside the group, how can I do that? Is it OK to assign every submission to N students where N is higher than the student count of the largest group?

by Fabian Glagovsky -
I never tried that, actually. We always allocate 3 peers only. You would need to also set up the assignment (or the course) as separate groups, so that the submitters and reviewers won't mix between groups. If this is a concern.
You can try! 
Best,