Face recognition Authentication in Moodle.

Face recognition Authentication in Moodle.

by Johan Blanco -
Number of replies: 9

Hello friends, I'm in a cycle school project and I need to install a plugin called Face Recognition Authentication as an authentication method in Moodle by biometrics for users, but I can't find anything, I saw in previous discussions that there was a project by Sean, but it doesn't exist anymore his link, I even tried to communicate by email with him and he told me that the code has an owner who will not share it, if you can help me I would appreciate it. All the best.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Johan Blanco

Re: Face recognition Authentication in Moodle.

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
there's an option called http://mycourseid.com/ which does this, I don't think they are in the DB yet (the backlog is ~3 months)
In reply to Joseph Thibault

Ri: Re: Face recognition Authentication in Moodle.

by Sergio Rabellino -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
This should not be appropriate under GDPR law, I suppose... So should not be usable in European countries. But maybe it's not your business. smile
In reply to Sergio Rabellino

Re: Ri: Re: Face recognition Authentication in Moodle.

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sergio, it's not my business, but I am a fan of what they are doing to make academic integrity tools more accessible to sites and the moodle community.
From your perspective, which part or function is not appropriate under GDPR, I imagine they're interested in compliance so any thoughts are appreciated.

-Joe
In reply to Joseph Thibault

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Face recognition Authentication in Moodle.

by Sergio Rabellino -
"I suppose" ... so I'm not "sure".
To enable the face recognition, you've to store personal biometrics data into your systems, actually GDPR says that biometric data is a special category of personal data (also called sensitive data). In principle, it is prohibited to process sensitive data, unless an exception applies.
For a login purposes it seems to me unbalanced the purposes and the connected risk. There are many other ways to simplify login procedures. Even associating facial recognition with identity assessment could not be assured, as they are many homozigotes brothers which can broke the system in principle.
That's why I'm cold about these solutions, but obviously, it's only my thinking.

bests.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Face recognition Authentication in Moodle.

by Brett Dalton -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
@sergio the exceptions are not much different to tracking cookies, consent or "legitimate activities with appropriate safeguards" (i.e. security authentication) is enough to be allowed to process it. If you later try and use that same data for anything else that becomes a problem. This is how every mobile phone with a finger print sensor is not an issue under GDPR.

https://gdpr-info.eu/art-9-gdpr/
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Brett Dalton

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Face recognition Authentication in Moodle.

by Sergio Rabellino -
My esperienze it’s not good enough to take a definite position on this, I tend to consider different data biometrics and data deriving from cookies and the risk evaluation it’s not unique.

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Face recognition Authentication in Moodle.

by Joseph Thibault -
Sergio, I do think there is a lot of fear of processing or collecting user data, including biometrics. But the onus for protection can be managed so that sites could have the benefits of using such features as biometric data for login (or site usage, or authentication, or proctoring, etc.).

You raise very valid concerns.