Language pack handling

Language pack handling

by Mike Henry -
Number of replies: 1

Question on best practices for language pack handling: I use a process for Moodle updates where I download the latest en and en_us packs, and when I deploy Moodle updates I keep en.zip and en_us.zip in moodle/lang and also extract their contents to moodle/lang/en and moodle/lang/en_us. I then copy the entire moodle/lang folder to MoodleData/lang. Is any of this redundant or unnecessary?

What brought this to my attention was I just did a compare from our files to a new download of Moodle itself and all relevant extra plugins, and we keep many more files in moodle/lang/en. But does Moodle do any of the extraction? Our files are from a running system and I did not actually deploy and run the new file set.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Henry

Re: Language pack handling

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mike,

When you update your Moodle site, all installed language packs should be updated automatically via a scheduled task. I don't think you need to do anything unless your site is on a closed intranet which can't connect to download.moodle.org. However I'm not an expert, so I'm going to move this discussion to the Languages forum in case our language experts have anything to add.