User tours defaults

User tours defaults

by Edgardo Palazzo -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Plugin developers

Is it possible to set "disabled" by default to user tours when installing moodle? If not, is there any way to do this unattended?

I could do it by running a selenium script but I would like not to depend on this.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Edgardo Palazzo

Re: User tours defaults

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If I understand you (I'm not sure I do)..

Site administration > Appearance > User tours

Disable the ones you don't want.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Have looked at php cfg.php for variable related to tours ... doesn't appear there is one setting that would allow to turn them off during install or right after.

However DB wise:

mysql> select id,name,enabled from mdl_tool_usertours_tours;

One could set all of them to enabled=0.

Comment: if users are moving from a 3 to a 4 ... they might need tours!!!   Am still playing 'who moved my cheese' as an Admin level user with 4.x sad

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Edgardo Palazzo -
Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks for the advice 😁

I'm testing things and I got tired of seeing the tours each time I reset the site (I'm using the docker images for testing). Also, there should be a way to enable/disable/add tours using a set up script for unattended installs, that's what I'm looking for.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yes, I get it.  Should there be a way?   Well, if ... IF ... moodle was to be consistent with past ability ... php cfg.php > allsettings.txt;cat allsettings.txt |more would show something one could add to config.php to turn off tours ... but ... there isn't.   Only way ... DB manipulation.

Maybe it's because 4.0 and up is no longer the 'old moodle' and UX/UI advisors/programmers 'know better' .... uhhhh, but for whom?

Anyhoo ... think, in this case, it is what it is! smile

You could submit an improvement suggestion in tracker and then ask for folks to vote for it.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It's a fairly trivial local plugin that could be written just to do that on installation. Local plugins are guaranteed to load last.

As you say, it kind of makes sense to have an option in 'Advanced features' or even just a $CFG in config.php somewhere.

There doesn't appear to be a 'view tours' role capability, either. That's really remiss IMO