Using Quiz for Learning purposes vs Testing purposes

Re: Using Quiz for Learning purposes vs Testing purposes

by Robert Dickey -
Number of replies: 0

Like many others, I see a clear bifurcation in uses of Quiz: to aid in learning, or to assess.  (and there can certainly be other uses)

also like others, I find the Lesson module not very helpful - it doesn't do what I want, and I don't like the "formatting" choices -- it seems the basic assumption is power-point-like cells with quiz.

I'd like to see two new functions in moodle, without loss of the current quiz:

1.  TEST  which uses the current quiz design but allows for more.  There is a clear shopping list out in various other discussions, for me, I'd add that the time to test could be longer than the regular time-out, and one way to handle that might be to have the test in sections (pages) where completion of one page, which could be returned to for revision (without requiring the "right button" be chosen) would satify the regular timer.  I.e., a 4 page Test, each page 10 minutes, would overcome a regular 15 minute timeout.  Only completing the fourth page would be the final upload/no changes.

2.  LEARN which uses the current web page or assignment design, where any "comprehension check" questions could be placed anywhere, with a feedback loop: 1 point (or fraction thereof, as per assignments) for a successful answer, and a redirect to the beginning of that reading for an incorrect answer, with no "minus" points and the possibility of reanswering for the full points (previous answer not displayed).  It might even highlight the correct info in the passage?

The reason the slides design won't work so well here is it doesn't really allow for questions that roll back to earlier reading sections without re-starting the hole process.

Or so I suggest...

(unfortunately, I'm not a programmer!)

Rob