Fake login attempts

Fake login attempts

by Filippo Caburlotto -
Number of replies: 14

Hi,
we are facing a problem of multiple fake login attempts. Looking at logs I can see almost every minute a silly name try to login to our Moodle (with wrong on not existant password).
We are using 4.1.1.x release (I updated it 3 days ago) and the host is Aruba.
Even if I delete every additional plugins and I choose the standard theme (deleteing the one we use), we are going on having the same problem.
Any idea?

Thank you in advance.

Filippo

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Filippo Caburlotto

Re: Fake login attempts

by Brett Dalton -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Just a thought but is this an integration user by any chance? is the IP consistent?
In reply to Brett Dalton

Ri: Re: Fake login attempts

by Filippo Caburlotto -
Thank you Brett.
Usernames are all not existent! 
Avoinding every problem with registered users, now I have only 3 registered users in the DB
The IPs are of different kind.
I attach an example.
As you can fgiure out we have multiple attempts (every 5 or 10 minutes!)

Thank you.
Fil
Attachment fake_login_example.jpg

by Sergio Rabellino -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
A botnet it's trying to catch some access to your moodle, probably using a dictionary or a list of "known" user/password credentials: where is the unusual thing?
Every web service published in the world probably is subject every day to brute-force attacks. If you're concerned with it, adopt a web application firewall capable of intercepting those failed logins and act consequently, e.g. ModSecurity for apache.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sergio Rabellino

by Filippo Caburlotto -
Hi Sergio,
nice to see you.
The unusual thing, I think, is that the botner isn't using a dictionary. I can find all that silly names in the user table of the moodle DB. They are deleted users (I'm still asking why when someone delete a user it isn't purged from the DB, but flagged as deleted...)
Do you think that everyone is attacked with a frequence of 5 minutes every day?
Thank you.
Filippo

by Sergio Rabellino -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
About the "deleted user state" maybe someone can answer better than me.
Do you have on your moodle the signup feature enabled ? If yes, this could be the way you get these fake logins in your mdl_user table.

About attacks, ehm... yes, even more frequently.
In reply to Sergio Rabellino

by Filippo Caburlotto -
I'm managing this moodle instance since the beginning of last week.
I switched the site in mantainence mode and turned the signup feature off a few days ago as soon as I found a lot of fake accounts in deleted status in the db and matched this username with those created by the bot.
I hope the attack would have stopped, but it is going on and on (sometimes every 10 seconds!). I will try to look ad the ModSecurity for Apache but using Aruba as host I don't believe I can add any mod...
Thank you.
F.

Re: Ri: Re: Fake login attempts

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Black Hats (BH) are always ahead of White Hats (WH) until WH catch up but then the BH find another way. sad

Hosting on systems where you are not in total control puts you at a disadvantage ... if your provider won't install things like mod_security or mod_evasive.

There are some things that you could do ... that will probably lead to some pain at first ... and won't be 100% ... but better than what you have now ...

Concepts - block/stop as far away from your server as you can and one might have to also block at the network layer (which might require you to upgrade your hosting to a VPS (un-managed).

First, investigate what you can do ... software wise ... research

CloudFlare

Moodle plugin for Multi-Factor

https://moodle.org/plugins/tool_mfa

If you had greater control over your firewall, one could put the peskiest IP addresses or range of IP addresses in a drop zone of the Firewall of your server.   That's at the network layer.   It also requires you to do more investigation of the IP addresses and range of IP addresses.   Example: don't think any of your valid students would be using a browser from a DigitalOcean (DO) Server.   If after looking at logs of server you see several coming from DO servers you could block a range of IP addresses that included most DO servers - those bots won't see *anything* of your server (note: they will try proxies at that point).

Above takes time and diligence once you begin.  You could eventually get to a point where you only have to work on such stuff once a week! smile

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Re: Ri: Re: Fake login attempts

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

I recommend you to install fail2ban on your server. It's a software package that scans the logs of your server, searching for failed logins, accessing non existent scripts and various other configurable "mistakes" bots usually make. Based on that, fail2ban will block access for those IP's completely (or only one service) for a chosen time (minutes, hours, weeks, ...)

It's not so easy to make it scan Moodle logs, but it's very likely that those bots get filtered out because they try to do loads of other stuff wrong on your machine, not visible in the Moodle logs.

If your're interested, I can share you my configuration file - it gives a good idea from what it can do to protect your server. Default settings are not enough.

In reply to koen roggemans

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Fake login attempts

by Filippo Caburlotto -
Thank you Ken and Koen!
I'm trying to speak with the host manager aking for secutiry improvements.

Fil

p.s.: @Ken "Black Hats (BH) are always ahead of White Hats (WH) until WH catch up but then the BH find another way", is the plot of a new Star Wars movie? ;) :D

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Fake login attempts

by Ken Task -

It was just an observation!   But IF someone will pay me for that idea, I'd gladly accept! smile

Expanding ...

those that register their site with Moodle share with Moodle info about
their site.  Wish Moodle would also collect at least hosting provider + package  (shared system or dedicated VPS - although I know that would be hard to determine).

https://www.websiteplanet.com/web-hosting/aruba/

Just about every hosting provider on the planet does WordPress ... but 'good environments' for DIY Moodle(s)?  When one first begins to shop for hosting one doesn't really know the questions to ask!   Even if you did, sales will promise anything! :|

Am not saying that the site above is 'right on target' ... cause there would
be some criteria for a Moodle not covered in their reviews of hosting that I would include having learned from previous experiences in hosting DIY Moodle(s).

I chuckle when I see '99.9% uptime'!!!!   Can meet that criteria by ping but that doesn't mean one has 99.9% uptime for applications! (network comes before applications)

Anyhoo ...

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Brett Dalton -
Ken In the past the community has expressed that they are not keen for MoodleHQ to collect that level of information, and it's hard to ensure it's accuracy.  That said there is a list of official Moodle partners on Moodle.com which is probably the best place to start when looking for hosted solutions.
In reply to Brett Dalton

by Ken Task -

No doubt an MP is the 'best' ... if one can afford it.   Am talking about the DIY folks! ;)   If am not mistaken, makes up the majority of Moodle sites.

Have been in these forums for many years.  Don't think I've ever seen any discussion in 'community' objecting to Moodle HQ collecting at least where sites are hosted ... especially if admin has checked the box to publish the url when registering their site.   Could be a box on that form for 'provider if known' that's not required.

https://stats.moodle.org/

https://stats.moodle.org/sites/

100% accuracy would be difficult for sure given things like CloudFlare ... but a ball-park - X number host with DigitalOcean, or OVH, or HostGator, etc. ... just the top 10 would be nice.

Hmmmmm ... looks like a job for a Chatbot! smile

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Brett Dalton -
It was a long time ago and attitudes may have changed. I was around some of the disucssions back when I worked at La Trobe uni many years ago and subsequently. This was also a slightly different audience than you tend to get in these forums (HE execs mostly), which may be why it hasn't really been disucssed on the forums. It would be an interesting disucssion to see what level of data collection the community would be comfortable with in an effort to improve the product.
In reply to Brett Dalton

by Ken Task -

Discussing this in Security and Privacy.   Hmmmmmm ... and by far, the following isn't going to be 'popular' with the Moodle 'faithful' and maybe no longer the focus of Moodle ... but .... here goes:

https://listedtech.com/blog/update-on-the-k-12-lms-historical-market/
There's an image ..

% of New K12 LMS Implementations per year.

"Moodle, which had the most new implementations between 2005 and 2012 (see graph below from last year’s post) is now hardly being selected."

I realize that's K12 - but think one might find similar in Higher Ed and in other 'industries'.

For an individual - small biz?

In San Antonio, Tx there is a non-profit which attempts to help small to medium businesses ... Moodle isn't on anyone's radar.

My 2 cents!

'SoS', Ken