In Moodle 4.0 Non-Editing teachers cannot edit grades

In Moodle 4.0 Non-Editing teachers cannot edit grades

by Khari Kambon -
Number of replies: 3

I figured I'd post in the forums to see if others have any insight before reporting as a bug.  I've spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure this out and have come up with nothing other than it must be a bug.

So the problem is even when non-editing teachers are given the moodle/grade:edit capability, they still cannot use a turn editing on button (or edit mode toggle) to edit grades like they could in 3.9 and versions before.  In Moodle 4.0 the turn editing button was replaced with the edit mode toggle- I get this, but with the moodle/grade:edit set to allow , I would expect there to be an edit mode toggle, but there's not and there seems to be no way to edit grades in the way this role previously could.  (note: Our non-editing teachers cannot edit courses, so that's not the problem. Also quick grading is on by default.)  The edit toggle doesn't show in the Boost theme and the turn editing on button which was intentionally left as is in Classic DOES show when using that theme, but when clicking on it nothing happens.  It seems the switch to the edit mode toggle in 4.0 has broken this functionality.

So here's what I did. We have a Production site (Moodle 3.9.10+) and a Sandbox site (Moodle 4.0).  The Sandbox site was upgraded from 3.9. After spending too much time trying to figure out why the role was no longer able to edit grades with seemingly the same permissions, changing themes, looking for different ways to edit the grades,  I finally just exported the role from 3.9 Prod and imported to 4.0 and tried it on the custom theme, Boost , and Classic theme and it still would not work on all three.
I tried turning Ajax on in preferences and that lets me change the grade, but cannot later remove the override, so that won't work as a substitute and of course to give non-editing teachers course editing rights just to allow them to edit grades defeats the purpose.

How in the world is a non-editing teacher supposed to edit the grades in 4.0?

Attachment noEditin4-0boost.jpg
Attachment noEditin4-0Classic.jpg
In reply to Khari Kambon

Re: In Moodle 4.0 Non-Editing teachers cannot edit grades

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In reply to Marcus Green

by Khari Kambon -
thanks, so much, Marcus. I'll still have not figured it out,, but will try it there now. The non-editing teacher doesn't have edit grades permission by default. could someone give that on the site?

In reply to Khari Kambon

by Khari Kambon -
Marcus, I'd still like to try if you can change that permission, but just as I suspected,  I now see this was in fact a bug. For some odd reason I previously could not find this in the tracker, but the issue was resolved in version 4.0.2 https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-74565, So for those that are on version 4.0 and run into this just note, you'll need to upgrade to at least 4.0.2 to correct this.