Can Moodle record every historical feedback (which allows multiple submissions) submission without overwriting?

Can Moodle record every historical feedback (which allows multiple submissions) submission without overwriting?

by Desmond Wang -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

It seems that Moodle would only keep the latest submission (from same student) as record for any feedbacks that allow multiple submissions. Is there anyway that I can keep each historical submission for record, instead of letting them be overwritten by later submission?

I have checked Site administration as well as both MoodleDocs and Forum but cannot find any clue. Could anyone kindly let me know how I can solve this issue under version 3.9.10 (Build: 20210913)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Desmond

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Desmond Wang

Re: Can Moodle record every historical feedback (which allows multiple submissions) submission without overwriting?

by Hannah Perrin -
Came here looking for an answer to this question also! Given the age of the previous, I'm assuming this isn't possible, but if anyone has any hints would be very grateful to hear them. Many thanks.
In reply to Hannah Perrin

Re: Can Moodle record every historical feedback (which allows multiple submissions) submission without overwriting?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I am sorry I did not see the original posting, but the answer really depends on what is being submitted. If the student is submitting a file of some sort, then you could use a database activity. There is probably a preset for this floating around. I'll take a look at my archives. Same thing if they are submitting text. However, if it is text, I would then change my recommendation for you to use the Diary plugin, which I maintain. If they are submitting images or multimedia, again you could use the Diary. Currently, Diary does not include the capability for file uploads, but it is on my TODO list to add that someday soon. I've just had too many life events here lately and have not managed to get to it.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Hannah Perrin -
Hi AL Rachels, thanks for the response. Students are not submitting files, they just complete the fields in the feedback form and click submit. Currently they can only do this once per course - any subsequent submission overrides the previous, and the earlier submission is lost. What we need is the capacity for students to submit once, that data to be stored, then student submit subsequent times, and that data to be stored also, with date stamps to distinguish which was submitted when. If you have a method would be very happy to hear about it!

by Hannah Perrin -
Forgot to say - our current workaround is that we just duplicate the feedback forms so that there's now 'Submission 1', 'Submission 2', 'Submission 3', etc, for each section.  A bit inelegant, but it works!

by Andrew Robinson -
I'm late to the party but I have a client system that is doing this. They get multiple submissions per student. In their case the teachers are actually submitting the feedback after a face-to-face session, and they have a custom question type that presents a droplist of enrolled students. The teacher makes multiple submissions (1 per student) and chooses the student name that the submission is for from the custom question type. I've been reverse engineering this moodle over the course of 2 years so it wouldn't surprise me if there was something that wasn't standard that enabled it. Are you saying that the multiple submissions option doesn't allow you to have multiple submissions per user (student in your case)?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I think from what you describe here, I would set this up as a Database activity. Database will let students make multiple submissions, and could be set to so that students can only see their submissions, if that is needed.