Moodle 4 file type icons

Moodle 4 file type icons

by Pierre-André Mudry -
Number of replies: 10

Hi everyone !

In Moodle versions < 4, uploading a file used to display the corresponding mime icon in the activity. The corresponding icon is now only shown when files are put inside a folder. Is there any way to restore the filetype icon ? 

The motivation behind this request is that in many of my courses, I either upload PDF or code (.java or .scala) and it's much easier for students to understand the intent when the corresponding icon is shown.

Thank you,

Pierre-André

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Pierre-André Mudry

Re: Moodle 4 file type icons

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Agreed. A big +1 from me.
We have LOST a feature through this change (imposing a uniform File activity type Icon).
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Séverin Terrier -
I also agree. Don't remember if a tracker item already exists for that, but it should be considered as a regression.
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Nathan Lind -
Anyone know of a Tracker item to request File resources [again] show the correct icon for the type of file, rather than a plain blue icon for every type of file?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Nathan Lind -
Attaching a screenshot demonstrating the regression in Moodle 4+ not showing what type of filetype an uploaded file is:

Moodle 4 file icons all blue square, Moodle 3.9 icons show filetype.

by Nathan Lind -
YES! +1 - Moodle HQ, please restore the icons for files uploaded to Moodle!

by Brad Nielsen -
Can I suggest to the Moodle UX team that the File resource should look for like this with the File Icon included:

In reply to Brad Nielsen

by Séverin Terrier -

Hi,

I've seen that Luca Bösch proposed a patch that will add file type icons again in MDL-75611.

Sure, it's less different and meaningfull than in 3.11, but not everything the same.

HTH,
Séverin

In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Nathan Lind -
I do have to say that having the same blue background for a variety of different types of items that can be added to a Moodle course makes quickly identifying what which item you are looking for is more time consuming. If we could get the actual MIME type icons back, like MacOS and Windows use, that would be so appreciated.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)