Unenrol student from one class but not all (using cohort enrolment)

Unenrol student from one class but not all (using cohort enrolment)

by Kim Solis -
Number of replies: 2

I have an urgent problem that I hope someone can help me with. 

I use a plugin to enrol students in a cohort based on certain profile fields.  I love this plugin. I just spent days setting up all the rules so that students are automatically added to cohorts and then set up those cohorts to be enroled in specific courses.  For example- all students that have "First level" in their profile are automatically enroled in three first level courses.

But now here's my problem. If a student doesn't keep up with their work in one class, the teacher can un-enrol them from that specific class. However, since they are part of a cohort, they can not be unenroled manually from a class - the settings wheel is not available as it is with students who are enroled manually.

To enrol the student, their profile field has to be changed and doing this then unenrols them from all the first level courses, even if they are working in the other ones. 

I don't want to change their profile or enrolment in the cohort.  I will only do that if they fail several classes.  So is there a way around this? Is there something I can do to be able to manage their course enrolment manually even though they were enrolled as part of a cohort?  I would hate to go back to having to manually enrol each student because that take forever.  Cohorts is a great way to make things so much quicker and easier.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kim Solis

Re: Unenrol student from one class but not all (using cohort enrolment)

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
you could create some specialty cohort roles for those who are struggling for each level (maybe First Level C, and it only gets two of the first three). Enroll these cohorts to the relevant courses. Add the student to the new cohort, remove them from the old. In that order. Then their enrollments maintain in the stuff you want to keep and go away for the ones you don't. (If you alter cohorts, maybe alter the profiles, too?)

Or just manually enroll them in the courses they need to keep and remove them from the cohort.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Melanie Scott

Re: Unenrol student from one class but not all (using cohort enrolment)

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
As Melanie mentions, a common way to solve this is

1) Enrol the specific user from Cohort again in each course with a Manual enrolment, so now they have two enrolment methods in the course as you will see on the Participants page.

2) Then it is safe to remove them from the Cohort without interrupting their enrolment: it will leave them with only the Manual enrolment in the courses.

This way they are always continuously enrolled and there is no danger of losing their enrolment or data from the course.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)