Boost Message drawer on M4 not opening in Opera

Boost Message drawer on M4 not opening in Opera

by David Mora -
Number of replies: 9

Hello, all.

All said in the title, though summarized. Since the upgrade to Moodle 4 my Boost theme is not allowing to open the messages drawer but it only seem to affect the Opera web browser (which is my main browser at the moment).

Any pointers and options you may see for me to try and restore the functionality are appreciated, I can debug and try some stuff if guided, just can't dedicate the time to perform the troubleshooting from scratch on my own at the moment. Thanks a lot.

Currently on:

• Moodle 4.0.1+ (Build: 20220617)
  • Boost 2022041900

- David Mora

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Mora

Re: Boost Message drawer on M4 not opening in Opera

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
What version of Opera and platform please? This information is 'so' important when attempting to replicate. And are there any errors on the console (F12)?
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by David Mora -
Thanks, Gareth.

Here is some more info:
  • Opera: 89.0.4447.83 (originally) and just upgrade to 90.0.4480.48 (issue persists)
  • Windows 11 Education 21H2, build 22000.856, Experience Pack 1000.22000.856.0
  • Search, notifications, profile and course navigation drawer all working fine.
  • Same account on same version of the browser but on a Debian 11 and it works fine
  • The site is hosted in cPanel on a VPS (I have full management rights to the server and applications within).
  • The console is completely empty, in DevTools only the audit message of navigator.userAgent, navigator.appVersion or navigator.platform
- David Mora
In reply to David Mora

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear David,

Works for me on:
Windows 10 Pro 21H2, build 19044.1889 (Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0) with Opera Version:90.0.4480.48 on Moodle 4.0.2+ (Build: 20220812).

I suggest clearing out Opera's cache / cookies for that specific Moodle site.

G

by David Mora -

After applying the suggestion, there was no change in the behavior, but clearly it's something in my instance if this works for you so I looked at server side cache.

I tried purging all caches and it works for the first load of a page in a browser. When loading all subsequent attempts the drawer won't open, even if the user logs out and another user logs back in. I made a small video clip (hosted in my site, since it is a bit larger than the 2MB limit for attachments) summarizing what I see happening after purging cache every time.

I don't know where to start looking at here, aside upgrading to the latest minor version I have not leads.

- David Mora

In reply to David Mora

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear David,

Ok, given the video clip, I still think its a JS and not CSS issue. Do double check the browser console.

G

by David Mora -

Hi, Gareth.

I can agree on the JS part, this is local behavior not acting as expected, though influenced by the cache purge. This is the Console and some more info on the DevTools for Opera, everything looks totally fine here and that wouldn't open many paths for resolution. The one Issue reported is: Audit usage of navigator.userAgent, navigator.appVersion, and navigator.platform

I may have to change the topic subject, I just tested further and it happens on any browser on any Operating System: it loads fine the first time a page is loaded (for example I go to Home and it works, reload the page and it doesn't any more, browse to My Courses and it works again, reload the page and it doesn't any more) either because it is the first access or after a cache purge. But here is the twist, on Edge I did get a message in the Console:

I will delve deeper into it and see what I can find. Suggestions appreciated.

In reply to David Mora

by David Mora -

Ok, so I am trying to catch this error and traces brought me to the file: [MoodleSRC]\message\amd\src\message_drawer_view_overview.js and line 179.

https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/17ee0726933c7c6410aca0e1edc445f795774c07/message/amd/src/message_drawer_view_overview.js#L179

The body parameter is passed as null at some point after loading a page for the second time and it cannot access the member function attr of the non-existent object; it is used from the show function in line 242 which I think is called from an external object. I don't think I have a good enough environment or deep enough knowledge of Moodle's core source to debug the situation in a short time.

I no longer purge all caches, with just the Javascript cache it brings the message drawer back once more and then upon refresh it gets hidden out of sight again. I will try to update to the latest revision of Moodle during this week to see if the error goes away, with little hope given this file has not been changed in 3 years, but maybe the calling element had some work done recently that fixes this situation, you never know (unless you dedicate enough time research, that is).

- David Mora

In reply to David Mora

by Gareth J Barnard -
Possibly double check your upgrade procedure to ensure that you don't have old code around, i.e. put in maintenance, delete all of the code bar config.php then put the new code in the same folder type thing.

by David Mora -
Oh, well. A good old upgrade to the latest version did solve the situation. So we will never know the root cause, but as with many users: what is important is that it works now (I really love digging all the way down to a solution, there is a lot to learn from that exercise; but that is not something that can be done every time). Thanks for being active on the situation and always having an options to try next, Gareth!
- David Mora