Moodle Question Bank

Moodle Question Bank

by Optimistic Futures IT -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,
I have query regarding question bank Moodle. I have created a category under Default for system and under this category I have more subcategories. Please see the attached picture. In sub categories, I have number of questions. As per my understanding, all the questions in sub categories should be added up to main category but it's seems this is not working like that. Is there any way I can add all subcategories question main category?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Optimistic Futures IT

Re: Moodle Question Bank

by Optimistic Futures IT -
If you can see above picture, each sub category contains 18 questions but it didn't up on main category and shows 0. Moreover, when I click main category it will show all the subcategories questions.

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
The number of questions directly in a category is displayed inside the brackets. On the course Question bank Categories page, this number does not include questions in sub-categories. When you display questions in a category, there is an option to include questions in subcategories or not. You can use this feature to get the number you want. On the Question tab page of a course Question bank, if you check the "Also show questions from subcategories" box, Moodle displays all the questions in the current category and its subcategories. At the bottom of the page it will have a link like "Show all 51", where 51 is the total number questions.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
In your screenshot, the 18 questions you have in the two sub-categories are correct. If you were to create a quiz and randomly pick, for example, 5 questions from CHCLEG003, Moodle would randomly select from both sub-categories. Additionally, you could create a quiz with 5 randomly selected questions from either of the separate sub-categories, perhaps smaller quizzes leading up to the CHCLEG003 big quiz.

Yes, Moodle doesn't show questions in the CHCLEG003 major category because you could also add questions to that category and not to the sub-categories. This actually gives you more flexibility to have a major quiz containing questions there students did not see in the smaller quizzes. Lots of power and flexibility.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)