Looping problem

Looping problem

by Thomas Bray -
Number of replies: 9
I'm having a sudden and starnge problem that I seem to recall others have had.

As I try and perform a function I'm being repeatedly sent back to the login screen. Cookies are activated, so it's not that. Something else, perhaps, in the settings on the client side?

Regards

Thom
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Bray

Re: Looping problem

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
I have the same problem now and then using IE6.1. Switching to Netscape or rebooting my computer solves the thing. I haven't yet figured out wat couses this problem to start triest
In reply to Thomas Bray

by Steve Edwards -

I have this horrid and annoying problem intermittently as well.

It seems to be related to my firewall. I use ZoneAlarmPro and the only solution that I have found is to disable the firewall during the first login and then after you have gained access to the site re-enable the firewall. Thankfully you only have to do this once as subsequent visits seem to work OK.

This is very frustrating for me however as I have a few moodles that I am messing around with and constantly re-set. I have tried finding what setting it is that ZAP does not like and customising the settings to no avail.

It only takes less than a minute but every now and then I pick up some spy ware while my computer is unprotected. It happens!

Social and political commentary live from WA: www.nowtellme.com

Democracy, like love, can survive almost any attack - except negligence and indifference.

www.totalqualityhosting.com

In reply to Steve Edwards

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
In my case it is not firewall-related:  I don't use a software firewall and some days, as today, I have no problem at all.
In reply to koen roggemans

by Floyd Collins -

I had a similar problem that ended up being DNS. I dont think this is your problem but try this.
One: Close down your browser and try again.
Two: Clear your cache in your browser.
My next question would be, do you get this on a local lan or accross the internet.

If local lan then are you using a proxy?

Keep pluging away at this, one of us will come up with something that may help.
In reply to Floyd Collins

by Thomas Bray -
Hello All:

the problem happens over the Internet. I re-booted and it went away. I was using IE 5.2+ for mac OSX. It almost seems like IE develops brain cramps sometimes!

BTW, I experienced the same issue yesaterday using Mozilla.

Thanks for the help.

Thom
In reply to Thomas Bray

by Floyd Collins -
On a Mac well why dident you say so, hehe.. Here is something that may clear this up for you it did for one of my users on a Mac from home. On your moodle server in Administration -> Configuration - set secureforms to NO. This cleared the issue up for some of my users. Let me know if this helps you. 
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Thomas Bray

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sometimes this will happen if your server is a cluster of computers.  The session information is stored on disk, so when your pages are served by multiple computers sometimes you hit a machine that doesn't know about your session so you get sent to the login page.  The solution is to manually specify a directory (in your your moodledata directory) as a place to store the sessions.

I don't think Thom's ISP uses clusters but maybe they changed recently.