Why Are Notifications Delayed?

by Andrew Uyeno -
Number of replies: 4

I have a free trial MoodleCloud account. I've noticed that notifications are often very delayed and sometimes don't come at all.

For example, when I post a new activity and clearly select to notify participants (below), the notifications just don't show up right away.

What's going on? Are these delays normal? Or is there a setting I can change to make notifications immediate?

FYI: From a teacher's account, I posted a new page at 12:38pm (local time) and I'll update this thread with the exact time the notification shows up in the student account. That page is already visible from the student's account on the course page, but the notification hasn't arrived yet.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Uyeno

by Andrew Uyeno -
Update: The notification arrived at about 1pm, so that's a 22 minute delay. Is there any way to eliminate this delay?
In reply to Andrew Uyeno

Re: Why Are Notifications Delayed?

by Zuriñe Echaniz -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team
Hi Andrew,

Site notifications are usually sent a minimum of 30 minutes after submission in Moodle, but with a MoodleCloud site, it will not send until the cron service runs for your site.

You can find more information on this topic from the following solution articles: Set up MoodleCloud site activity notificationsSet up MoodleCloud site activity notifications and When crons run in MoodleCloud sites.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,
Zuriñe