Enable Transcript for videos

Enable Transcript for videos

by Sushma R -
Number of replies: 4

Hi All, 

How do i enable a transcript for the video in moodle?
Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sushma R

Re: Enable Transcript for videos

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
It depends.

Do you want to make a transcript from the video?
- You will need to use a 3rd party plugin/service for that, or possibly use Youtube.

Do you want to show a transcript with the video? (ie you already have one)
- You can upload or link the transcript to the video when you insert it on the page.
like this ..
attachment?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpZCI6MTkwNjE5MTE4NzYsImRvbWFpbiI6InBvb2RsbC5mcmVzaGRlc2suY29tIiwiYWNjb3VudF9pZCI6NDc0MDM5fQ.MOjKAaDrPWHx-nalleDiVoOiRdd52EcTWhVFB7zFvAk
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Sushma R -
Thank you for the reply,

Currently i have transcript in the form of the .txt file, can i use the same?

Requirement is as below,
1. Transcript should be shown below the video file, which will be shown as a hyper link, which opens in the new tab,(currently its made as optional).

I am unable to get that insert media option in my page editor, should i installing a plugin for this show?

Thanks in advance.,
In reply to Sushma R

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Caption/subtitle files are supported in VTT format (by browsers). Plain text files are not subtitle files because they contain no time stamps or formatting. 

If you just want to display the transcript below the player as a link then you can just do that manually. Use the link widget to open the link editor and then the "browse repositories" button to upload a file from there.

If you can't see the buttons you need then perhaps they are on the 2nd or 3rd row of buttons. Only the 1st row of buttons is shown. Click the top/left arrow button to expand all the rows.

If the editor looks different you are probably using TinyMCE and not Atto. You can change the editor you see in your user preferences or from the site admin.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Sushma R

by mark Mickera -
Finding the transcript option for a YouTube video is relatively simple. However, not all videos will have transcripts. Only those with closed captioning allow you to see one. Keep in mind that many videos have automatic transcripts that may not always be of the best quality. But some video creators make their own transcripts, which are usually more accurate.