Etiquette w.r.t. pinging and peer review

Etiquette w.r.t. pinging and peer review

by Philipp Imhof -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

A few months ago, I have opened an issue and attached a very easy fix. Since then, the patch is hanging at status "waiting for peer review". I know that there are many, many open issues and that time is a finite resource. However, with the last bugfix release for 3.11 planned for November (meaning there are only two releases left), I feel there is a risk that this very annoying -- although probably only for a minority of the user base, e.g. our institution -- will remain unfixed.

Being new to the Moodle developer community, I would like to know whether it is generally OK or rather frowned upon if one pings e.g. a component watcher, especially if the code to review is really just a one-liner. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Philipp Imhof

Re: Etiquette w.r.t. pinging and peer review

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, on the one hand, excessive pinging about peer review is not good etiquette, but then on the other hand, us, as a community, not managing to peer review useful bug fixes is bad etiquette. We all just need to be patient with each other.

Of course, the way you asked the question here is a very polite way to get someone to peer review your issues. Another good place to ask for peer review is in the Developer chat: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Chat. Note that it is *Peer* review. It does not have to be done by the component lead, which is why I could review it for you.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)