system-wide template-files for reuse, can manager upload files direct in moodle and not only ftp?

system-wide template-files for reuse, can manager upload files direct in moodle and not only ftp?

by Danijel Todic -
Number of replies: 4

in our moodle  /admin/repository.php, 
I activated "filesystem" and also activated "WebDAV" and both of them I've successfully tested and checked.

Because of security issues i would not use webdav.

My quetion: Is there another way, when enabling filesystem repository, than uploading the files to the repository only with FTP to the server?

We would like to allow Moodle managers to upload files to the repository directly in moodle and not over FTP to the server.

our goal is that our moodle managers have a central repository, where they can upload and change direct in moodle template files for other moodle managers to reuse these template files as templates in other moodle courses, it could be following types of template files:

• icons
  • pictures
  • other media (PDFs, )

So when moodle managers are creating courses and adding new media, this moodle managers can see whether certain media are already available on moodle and reuse them in their courses, so all moodle courses will have the same look&feel for example by using the same icons.

For moodle managers should it be possible to easy change the files in the repository direct over moodle and not in FTP.

If there is no solution to the above questions and idea for central moodle repository not over ftp. Can a template course be maybe a solution?
Can we create a moodle course as a template and upload all files there and all moodle managers can reuse files from this course?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Danijel Todic

Re: system-wide template-files for reuse, can manager upload files direct in moodle and not only ftp?

by Danijel Todic -
The files should be saved on the same server like our moodle instance, we don't want to use 3rd party tools like onedrive or dropbox.

Re: system-wide template-files for reuse, can manager upload files direct in moodle and not only ftp?

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
The short answer to this is no: the file system repository is read-only by design from inside Moodle as far as users are concerned. You would need to use another repository type to allow users to upload or save files into the repository from inside Moodle.

Having said that, you are not limited to using just (S)FTP to upload files to the repository: you can use any method your server will support to put files there, as long as you are willing to set up the correct permissions and provide some alternate interface for users outside Moodle.

If WebDAV will not work for you, you might consider looking at the NextCloud integration, which is at least based on open source OwnCloud and can be installed locally.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Danijel Todic -
Thanks!

I configured the filesystem variant under admin/repository.php - a system-wide option for all courses.
But my problem is now, that the role editingteacher can't see the two filesystem repositories, the admin can see it.
I've checked the filesystem:view "Capabilities/repository/filesystem:view" and this is on allowed.
What can I check more, why our trainers don't see the system-wide filesystem repositories when uploading new files?

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Is the repository set to "Enabled and visible" in the Manage repositories page?

If so, then both the teacher and non-editing teacher roles should be able to view the files in that repository when using the File picker - provided of course they are in a course and have the needed permissions to add files to the course or activity they are editing. Those permissions are already set by default for those roles.

Attachment screenshot_13669.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)