Grade Exception Excluding Grades From Wrong Assignment

Grade Exception Excluding Grades From Wrong Assignment

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Number of replies: 31
Greetings From Alaska-
I am attempting to use the wonderful "grade exception" feature for the first time and here is what happens:
  1. I go to the "Grade Exception Tab"
  2. Click on the Assignment I want to exclude students from earning a grade in (the last assignment in the list).
  3. Click all the students I want "excluded"
  4. Click on Exclude Students From Grading button
  5. The 12 students are moved over into the furthest right column
  6. The (12) appears next to the FIRST assignment and a (0) appears next to the last assignment, which was highlighted when I clicked the "exclude from grading" button.
What gives? No matter what I do it always lists the exclusions next to the first assignment? Am I doing something wrong or is this some sort of bug. I really want to begin using this feature next week so would appreciate any assistance you could offer. Thanks!
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

Re: Grade Exception Excluding Grades From Wrong Assignment

by Michael Penney -
Hi Debra, couple questions if you could:

What version of Moodle are you using?
What browser are you seeing this in (or is it all browsers)?
Are you using the standard gradebook or one of the custom installations?

Thanks!
Michael
In reply to Michael Penney

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Bryan Williams (Remote Learner) just upgraded us to 1.5.3+ about a week or so ago. I am using Mozilla Firefox and am using the standard gradebook but would be interested in custom installations if available.

Thanks for the quick reply. Any ideas how I can get this to work?

Thanks

by Michael Penney -
One more question, if you don't mind:

Do your assignments have any non-standard characters in their names (we were getting some odd behavior with ampersands in assignment names, Jeff fixed this in CVS recently but you may have gotten a build before the fix).

If changing the naming doesn't help, then I'm stumped, the process you describe should work fine. If you feel ok sending me a teacher login to one of your courses, I could look at it 'in person'.

If you would register herea:
http://cdc.humboldt.edu/collab
 and let me know, I can add you as a teacher to our demo site, and then you could see the "Edit grades" function of gradebookplus, as well as see if you can reproduce the problem on our site.

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Thanks Michael!
I just sent you an email with the login info for my "Introduction to Moodle" course.

I will go ahead and register at the site you mentioned and would love to have a look at the Edit grades functions of gradebook plus. Sounds very cool!

Sure appreciate you taking the time to look at this. It has me really stumped!

Deb

Additional Grade Exception Challenge Info

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Okay, I did some further studies on this and I still do not know what is wrong but I have more "data" for what that is worth!

Have logged in with IE and Firefox, same challenge. BUT when I logged into my "Deb Practice" sandbox course the grade exception feature worked just fine!

I then decided to experiment with making a grade exception with different assignments in my "Intro to Moodle" course and it does not matter which graded assignment I try and exclude, it excludes the first assignment on the list (APU Registration Status) by showing a (1) next to it and a (0) next to any other assignment I try to exclude. I am wondering if there is something in my gradebook settings preventing me from excluding assignments since this featue works just fine in another course???

Let me know what you think when you log in. Sure appreciate the input and time you are taking to assist!

Re: Additional Grade Exception Challenge Info

by Michael Penney -
Hi Debra, this looks to me like the problem with Custom Scales and the grades API: grades are supposed to return a maximum grade (according to the Moodle API). Custom scales don't return a maximum grade, which breaks the exclusions code.

Scales definitly need some work (one could also say the gradebook needs to handle the lack of a maximum grade from scales, but this gets very complicated to code due to the open ended nature of scales, w/as if scales returned a max grade, everything should work fine).

From your example, could you handle this in the current code with a 2 point assignment, where 0 is no credit, 1 is partial credit, and  2 is full credit?

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Hello Michael-
I did as you suggested, got rid of the custom scale and made the APU: Registration Status a 2-pt assignment and updated everyone to either a 0, 1 or 2 and I can still not use the exclude grading feature for any assignments. No change.

Next I "hid" the APU: Status assignment and I still can not update.

I fear I will have to delete this assignment in order to make it work.

Very odd. No matter what assignment I click on to exclude it excludes folks from APU:Grades, which is listed as first on the list. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I guess I will just moodle some more...

by Michael Penney -
This is very odd, in my testing I was able to reproduce the problem, but as soon as I switched the assignments from using a custom scale, it reverted to normal behavior.

Do you have other custom scales assigned to other assignments in the course?

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Yes it is odd. No other custom scales - that was my first attempt at using them. I also completed deleted the custom scale I created.  You mentioned using unique charactors in assignment titles. I use "#" and ":" as part of the titles, this would not be creating a problem would it?

I cleared out my cache and tried with an alternate browser and still no luck!

Thanks for the continued input. There has to be something I am missing????

Grade Exception STILL not working!

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
The GRADE Exception is still not working in my "Intro to Moodle Course". I have removed all custom scales and have no "odd" characters in titles that I know of. I even completely deleted the first graded assignment since it would always "exclude" folks from this assignment no matter which assignment I excluded students from and now it just excludes students from the new first assignment on the list.

URGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I really need to use this feature as half the class is finished this week and the rest of the class has one more week of assignments that I want averaged into their grades but not the rest of the class. Any idea for a work around on this?

Works fine in my other classes. There must be some odd setting in there somewhere. Please take another look if you get a chance. This is driving me crazy, of course it is a "VERY SHORT TRIP" these days smile

Grade Exception: Works in Import

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Hello Again-
Maybe this might help to pinpoint the problem. I imported my entire Intro to Moodle course with files and everything into a MoodleTest course and the Grade Exception works! So apparently it have nothing to do with the gradebook assignment, quizzes, forums, lesson names. None of the students I added have taken any quizzes yet so the problem must be the way the student data is being handled?

Any light bulbs going off for anyone?

Re: Grade Exception: Works in Import

by Jeff Graham -
Hi Debra,

This sounds like it could be some erroneous entries in the {$CFG->prefix}grade_items table. It is hard to diagnose these things without seeing the HTML source on the grade exceptions page along with the database entries, but what you describe sounds like something going wrong in the database or in setting up the form on the grade exceptions page. Especially since the problem went away on import.

I think this could also be a problem with scales as well because scales have never worked well in the gradebook. The reason why I didn't want to include scales in the gradebook at all is because they behave erratically, or at least different enough from the other modules that it is problematic. The problem is that there is a guideline for the get_grades() functions for modules, but scales don't follow this guideline. I think fixing this has been postponed because it brings up several other issues with gradebook performance and behavior that need to be addressed systemwide, and not just in the gradebook. Martin D. has created a thread to discuss resolving these issues.

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Hello Again-
Well I completed DELETED the APU: Reg assignment and still no luck. No matter what assignment I try and exclude from grading it excludes the students from the first assignment on the list!!!!!

Any ideas? I really need to use this feature as I have students enrolled in this course for both 1 and 2 credits and this is the last week for the 1 credit students and the two credit students will have two more assignments averaged into their grade that I need to exclude the other students from. This feature works fine in my "Deb Practice" sandbox course.

Thanks for any input that ANYONE might have!

by Uzma Bhatti -
Hi All

I am having the exact same problem. It's very strange, because the grade exception has been working perfectly until now. Double thanks for any input anyone can give!!!

~UB
In reply to Uzma Bhatti

by Hendy Wijaya -
I wonder if this problem still at large, but I kinda run into this problem too, attached is my solution.
replace {MOODLEDIR}/grade/exception.html with this attachment, it simply repairs the javascript functions.
It just works, if you need more details just reply me.
In reply to Hendy Wijaya

by Brian Pool -
Thanks! Our school is going 100% Moodle (I convinced them it is better than ProgressBook, WebCT,BB...) and I made our new production server using 1.8.2+ (2007021520) and recently found this bug when I was teaching the staff how the gradebook works.

Does anyone know if this is fixed in the newest version of 1.8?

Thanks again!
In reply to Brian Pool

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Brian - From what I can tell MDL-10904 is still open; however, there were some proposed fixes if you want to try them at CONTRIB-71. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Brian Pool -
The one Hendy uloaded worked fine for me, we are running smoothly again!
In reply to Brian Pool

by Anthony Borrow -
Brian - I just want to verify that the file you are using (the one that works) is the one that is currently in CVS. When I compared the files I did not see a difference but I just wanted to double check with you and make sure we got this right. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Hendy Wijaya

by Süreç Özcan -
I tried out the exception.html (moodle 1.8.2+) and I am able to set grading exceptions in the interface. smile

Next problem:
When I go back into my courses quizzes and select a quiz students have already taken, I still see the students I have just removed from being graded (in the tabs overview, item analysis and detailed responses.) Does this regrading just work if done before a student takes a quiz?

I especially need the changes to be migrated into the tab "item analysis", although it would be nice showing in the other two tabs correct as well!

Looking forward for some feedback...
Süreç
In reply to Süreç Özcan

by Süreç Özcan -
Note: Trying out alternatives by simulation with a test student...

Checking a single student in order to delete under quizzes->"special quiz"->results->overview deletes this student in the overview tab.

Checking if this changing took effect in the tab "item analysis" shows in "R. counts" still the old total number y (x/y) of students that have taken the quiz (including the deleted one), but the result x of the deleted student is not included (excluding the deleted one). Somehow inconsistent.
Now taking the quiz again as the student that had been deleted in the overview and looking back into the overview, the student is listed up again. Also the y-value in the "item analysis"-tab increased by one and the x-value has been adapted (increased) where the student had given his answer. Still the y-value is incorrect since it shows one person too much although it had been deleted way before.
Probably a bug?
In reply to Süreç Özcan

by Anthony Borrow -
I'm not sure how the quiz module and those reports handle grade exclusions. I suspect that they do not check for them. It is an interesting situation you are proposing and probably should be submitted as an improvement or bug (if you prefer) in the tracker so that Tim Hunt does not run out of things to do (as he has been happily squashing bugs left and right). You may want to make a post in the quiz forum and reference this thread of discussions so that they have an idea of what you are doing and what you would like to see happen. Peace - Anthony

p.s. - If you need help with either getting word out in the quiz forum or creating an issue in the tracker - just let us know.
In reply to Hendy Wijaya

by Diane Woodard -

I am running 1.8.2+ and I replaced the grade book exception file in the appropriate directory and now I only have code in the 3 boxes accross the page. No assignments or student names? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You.

Diane - Montana

In reply to Diane Woodard

by Anthony Borrow -
Diane - Make sure that you get both the lib.php and the exception.php files. Also, are you using the standard gradebook or the GBPv2 patch? Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Diane Woodard -
I am using the gradebook that came with Moodle 1.8.2 . Where do I get both of the files? I got the exception.html file off of this forum and that is the file that I replaced on the server. Thanks so much!
In reply to Diane Woodard

by Anthony Borrow -
Diane - I would go ahead and update the entire site to Moodle 1.8+. There have been changes made to /grade/lib.php, /grade/exception.php and /grade/exception.html. But to be safe, it is best to just get the latest 1.8 release and install that. I'm pretty sure that will resolve your issue. Peace - Anthony