This whole site is in Irish

This whole site is in Irish

by Justin Hunt -
Number of replies: 17
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Even though I set my language preference here to English, everything shows in Irish.

Is it just me? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Justin Hunt

Re: This whole site is in Irish

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Funny, right? The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I forgot what language. I had to go into another browser and the drill of clearing the cache and of course restarting my computer. I learned that even stranger things happen on my new iMac, unless I restart it at least once a day.
In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Nellie

"even stranger things happen on my new iMac, unless I restart it at least once a day". That is known to happen on _old_ Windows computers. Why is myMac called "new" then?
big grin

No seriously, from my end moodle.org behaves normally. I change the Preferred language in my profile and the Moodle-generated strings appear in the language I selected.

One thing I noticed though. moodle.org used to have a language selection drop-down on the menu bar with over a hundred languages. Even on "Moodle in English" I could select any random language and enjoy a (language) salad. Is that drop-down gone?
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Justin Hunt -
This illustrates it well, half of the text is English and half Irish ..

I tried clearing caches but it didn't help. Clearing my cache in a nuclear way probably would fix it. But there's a terrible price to pay.
I guess being more Irish isn't a bad thing really ...
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Off the top of my head it should detect the language from what the browser sends in the request's HTTP headers. With your browser's developer tools open (e.g. Network Monitor in Firefox) what does it say in the request's Accept-Language header? I see Accept-Language: en-GB,en;q=0.5:

Screenshot of browser with developer tools showing request GET https://moodle.org/community with Accept-Language: en-GB,en;q=

and British English (en-GB) is the correct language for my set-up.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

It happened to me today. My browser sent Accept-Language: en-GB,en;q=0.5 and moodle.org responded content-language: hat (i.e. Haitian Creole). Reported as MDLSITE-6714.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Justin, as a post-Brexit British passport holding Europhile, I'd love to be Irishsmile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Justin Hunt -
Indeed, it was fun while it lasted. for a few days I actually had a wee twinkle in my eye ..

But logging out of Moodle.org and logging back in cleared it up.
In reply to Justin Hunt

Ooh, the magic is over? Hope, you'll keep the memories dear. The Irish air is known to inspire many.
wink
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I currently have this language oddity on this site...

In reply to Marcus Green

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
I also had this happen a few weeks ago, then Justin, and now you. This is becoming more interesting than I thought.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Looks rather like Amharic.
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ok I am in this group now! I suddenly found my settings in an (as yet unfigured out by me) language. I logged out and logged in again and it has gone, but strange while it lasted.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I'm happy (?) to just discover that I'm not the only one who suddenly found Moodle in an unknown language. In my case it was Indonesian. I had to fiddle around a bit...log out, back in, find the language selector...can't remember for sure but it's not happened since. smile
In reply to Jason Hollowell

`for I can't understand it myself to begin with; and being so many different sizes in a day is very confusing.'

`It isn't,' said the Caterpillar.

`Well, perhaps you haven't found it so yet,' said Alice; `but when you have to turn into a chrysalis--you will some day, you know--and then after that into a butterfly, I should think you'll feel it a little queer, won't you?'

`Not a bit,' said the Caterpillar.

`Well, perhaps your feelings may be different,' said Alice; `all I know is, it would feel very queer to me.'

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/alice-V.html
smile
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Mary Cooch -
Since I last posted, for some reason every time I come here, it seems to be in French... since I speak French it's not a problem, but it is strange, since I have Moodle in English!
In reply to Mary Cooch

Now it is my turn to feel queer.

I think somehow the language of the user I am replying to overrides my language setting.