Moodle Docs MediaWiki upgrade

Moodle Docs MediaWiki upgrade

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 16
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm pleased to announce that the Moodle Docs MediaWiki has been upgraded to version 1.35.3. It was a big upgrade, bringing lots of new features! smile

If you notice anything which is not quite right since the upgrade, please let us know by replying to this discussion.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Moodle Docs MediaWiki upgrade

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Helen,

On the Ad-hoc contributed reports page, which we all know has grown way too long, the upgrade has two problems with code formatting.

First, it ignores the tags as a block of text, instead it takes the carriage returns inside the code as markers of some sort and breaks the code up into several parts. That's not a good description I am afraid, but if you look at the attached screenshot, where there should just be one continuous block of code.

On the other hand,the upgrade has in other places, stripped out the end of line carriage returns in the code so that the whoe query now runs on together into one barely readable stream. In the source edit mode, the text is still formatted correctly, but when presented on the page, it loses the formatting and then just runs it altogether into one long line. Example in the second screenshot with an upper view of the edit source page and the lower view of the result.

So, basically, the formatting makes it very difficult to read anything on that page at the moment. I'm not at all sure how to fix these.

Attachment screenshot_10053.jpg
Attachment screenshot_10056.jpg
In reply to Helen Foster

by Randy Thornton -
Aha! Found the answer. The new syntax for this in the new version of Mediawiki is to use the new tag syntaxhighlight lang="sql" instead of the old one of code sql. (I had to leave off the brackets for those due to Atto stripping them, but you know what I mean).

So, the solution would be to mass replace the new syntaxhilight tags for the old code ones. However, I seem to recall that there are some instances of just and also some snippets of PHP code on the page as well as all the SQL code. Is there a safe way to do this?

Attached is how that looks with the new from this example: https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/ad-hoc_contributed_reports#All_Private_Files_by_User

I changed a handful of the queries on the page to see how they look and this change fixes both the issues I reported. And it looks much, much better than the old style as well.

Attachment screenshot_10057.jpg
Attachment screenshot_10059.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

Vs: Moodle Docs MediaWiki upgrade

by L. Selänne -

The Finnish site (https://docs.moodle.org/3x/fi/) has at least three problems.

1) Right column was shown in the begin of a page (not on the right). I had to remove the following part from all templates to make it work again.

2) The blue boxes for different versions are not shown (they only show text, no blue box and not on the right). Haven't figured it out yet how to fix this.

3) In the front page (https://docs.moodle.org/3x/fi/Etusivu) we had a table like on the main front page (https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/Main_page). Now it's just a list. I suppose I just have to build it again.

Otherwise looking good and nice to have the possibility to edit in wysiwyg mode. Do you have any instructions for this new version?

In reply to L. Selänne

Re: Vs: Moodle Docs MediaWiki upgrade

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
The Spanish Moodle Docs page at https://docs.moodle.org/all/es/P%C3%A1gina_Principal also had the last two problems described for the Finnish main page.

I have already fixed the third issue (I just reproduced the changes that David Mudrak had done on the English Docs page into the Spanish page), but I have no idea how to fix issue # 2 above.
In reply to Germán Valero

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks everyone for reporting things which need fixing.

Randy, as you figured out, the code tags need changing to use syntaxhighlight. David has been fixing them with a bulk search and replace (MDLSITE-6542).

L, re. 2) we've noticed this problem in the dev docs. It's reported as MDLSITE-6543 and I expect a solution will be provided soon.

Good question re. instructions for the new version! smile I'll try and come up with a checklist.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Randy Thornton -
Helen,

I have completed the update for that ad-hoc reports page so all the queries now have the new, correct syntax. I just did a mass search replace in an editor, then manually fixed the couple of exceptions.

Looks much better! The new syntax highlighting is much more readable than the old style.

Randy
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Helen Foster -

Many thanks for your help Randy, also to L, German and others helping fix things in the different language wikis. Once we have everything fixed, we'll be able to enjoy all the new features in the upgraded wikis! smile

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Moodle Docs MediaWiki upgrade checklist

by Helen Foster -

As promised, here's a checklist:

1. Edit Mediawiki:Sidebar to create a top menu on non-front pages e.g. https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/index.php?title=MediaWiki%3ASidebar&type=revision&diff=140895&oldid=108183
  2. Edit any page with blocks and replace it with a Bootstrap 4 card deck e.g. https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/index.php?title=Main_page&type=revision&diff=140780&oldid=140215
  3. Search and replace class="nicetable" with class="wikitable"
  4. Search and replace code tags with syntaxhighlight e.g. https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/index.php?title=ad-hoc_contributed_reports&curid=11193&diff=140868&oldid=140381
  5. Edit MediaWiki:Helplogin-url and add a link to the login help page in the wiki e.g. https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Helplogin-url&oldid=140855

I've done 1. for most wikis, though feel free to make changes. Thanks again to everyone for helping and let me know if you'd like me to help with anything.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

for point 3, wouldn't it be possible to make a global search and replace on all wikis?

Séverin
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Helen Foster -

Thanks Séverin for your suggestion which I have reported as MDLSITE-6551.

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Moodle Docs nicetable search and replace

by Helen Foster -

Update: Search and replace of class="nicetable" with class="wikitable" is now done, with thanks to David Mudrak. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Helen and all those involved in the Moodle Docs upgrade

Until the long down time of the wikis and they came up in a new style, I was completely unaware of this complete new overhaul. Yes, the new style is bright and crisp, very pleasant. Also the highlighting of various elements like tables and code are of a high typographical standard.

From the content side, what the wikis are all about, the Table of Contents is now more complete and complements the Main page. This was the number one missing piece in the "organically grown" wikis. The next, perhaps bigger, step is to clean up the mess created during years of uncontrolled growth: redundancy worsened exponentially by duplicating the wikis in every new release. Here's a recent example: [Moodle Docs] Documentation dev/JMeter, XX/en/Test_course_generator and XX/en/JMeter_test_plan_generator overlapping.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Helen!

I am currently writing the documentation for my recently approved "Random select answers question type" plugin. In the new MediaWiki version, for the 3rd-party question types, there seems to be a conflict between 2 blocks which should both appear in the column on the right.

They are the {{Questions}} block and the {{Infobox plugin...} block.

In almost all of the existing 3rd-party question types doc, the doc page first displays the long list of core question types, followed by the relevant documentation for the current question type, which I find rather confusing for the visitor.

If one places the {{Questions}} block before the {{Infobox plugin...} block, it goes to the column on the right, and the {{Infobox plugin...} block remains in the main column, at the top, which IMHO looks better.

Actually, I feel one could to without the {{Questions}} block altogether, since users arriving on a particular 3rd-party question type page are first of all interested in its documentation, not in links to core question types.

What do you think?

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Helen Foster -

Hi Joseph,

Apologies for not replying before now. I agree with you that documentation for 3rd-party question types such as the Random select answers question type can do without the Questions block. Thanks for providing great documentation for your plugin.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)