Emoji-reactions to forums

Emoji-reactions to forums

by Stefan Schoch -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

In nearly all forums or social networks today, one can react to a post by adding some emoji as reaction. Usually, all users can then easily see how people reacted to a specific post, which - I believe - can increase the engagement in using that forum a lot.

I wonder if there is a specific reason, why this is not implemented in Moodle as a standard?

Is there any plugin that adds this functionality?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stefan Schoch

Re: Emoji-reactions to forums

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
The ability to add emoticons is built into the ATTO editor. However, to see additional features in the ATTO editor you have to click on "Advanced."  

What version of Moodle are you running? 🤔

Attachment emoji.png
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Stefan Schoch -

Thank you for the answer!

I don't mean to add Emojis within the own text, but rather to offer students an option to react on others' messages by adding just an emoji (as it is common with most forums).

Something like what is possible with rating individual messages as 'useful' in this forum.
Ideally in a way that one can see all emojis at one glance.

I'm running Moodle 3.9

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It's a bit of a fiddle to set it up, but you can create a custom scale of emojis which can then be used to rate posts...

Within your course, go to Grade > Scales and create a new scale there (in my example I haven't got the order correct as they should be from negative to positive...)

As the "Scale" entry box does not have a full text editor you can type the scale in the description box below and then cut and paste it in...

You can then apply this scale to a forum for the ratings. If you want students to be able to rate the posts, be sure to edit the default permissions to allow students to rate posts...

HTH
Jon

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jon Witts

by Stefan Schoch -
Interestingly, I had this as a solution a while ago. So, I'd like to use it again.

Curious fact: when I enable rating:

neither me (role 'Leitung') nor the Student sees the rating-option.
The permissions are set (as far as I understand) correctly:

What's wrong? 🤔

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You need to add the capability to the forum level not the course...

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Sorry about that, Stefan. Jon and Mary have some good ideas for you.