Hiding forum posts & replies from students

Hiding forum posts & replies from students

by Hoda Askar -
Number of replies: 7

Hi there,

Is there any way to hide a student's reply on a discussion forum post? just to make it invisible to the students, but for the instructor and admin it's visible. Also for a discussion post, do we have the option to hide some forum posts from others. something like post moderation.

EX: In forum posts' replies we have options to delete, permalink, edit, split and reply. Can I have additional option for hiding this reply from other participants so that they can't read it but it's still existed?

In forum posts, we have options to start, lock, pin the discussion and mark as read. Can I have additional option for hiding this post from other participants but admin and instructor can see it?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hoda Askar

Re: Hiding forum posts & replies from students

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I wonder why you are using the discussion for this kind of one-way submit/comment assignments. Maybe convert this to an Assignment?

I have never done it, but creating groups of "1" allows for totally private discussions.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Hoda Askar -
It's a kind of graded activity we use, sometimes students in a DF post something racist. Usually the course instructor delete it. But isn't there a way to hide it instead? we can't turn it into assignment, the students post  their replies and their peers rate them and make comments on their participations.
In reply to Hoda Askar

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
If there is a racist post, I don't see any difference between deleting it and hiding it. Both methods (if you could hide it) result in peers not being allowed to see it or post replies.

Alternatively, you can "edit" the post, remove the racist comments, and make a note "Racist comments have been removed. You receive 0 points for this mistake!"

If you feel strongly about the ability to "hide" a post, and can accurately describe its proposed functionality and advantages, then consider making a feature request for it in the Moodle Tracker system. I am only one Moodle user among thousands who does not see its advantages, yet.  Also, check the Tracker system because maybe this feature request has already been created by someone else.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Hoda Askar -

Thanks Rick for your recommendations!

In reply to Hoda Askar

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The Hot Question plugin allows you to automatically hide a student post until or if the teacher approves it. I am currently working on adding grade capability to the plugin and hope to have it ready soon.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Hoda Askar -
Thank you Rachels for letting me know this. Please feel free to write me back once you're done.
In reply to Hoda Askar

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
A few minutes ago I pushed a release candidate to git hub, MOODLE_410_BETA_RC1, It is usable in a test environment, but still has a couple of bugs I am trying to track down and fix, so it has some debug code in it still.