Section outline function gone???

Section outline function gone???

by Ger Tielemans -
Number of replies: 6

When I upgraded to moodle 4, I lost the outline function in the sections.

1. Is that a bug on my website or is that a design decision?

2. is it possible to re-activate it?
(in some themes it seems to be supported and their outline info is stored in the database.)

3. Why does Boost not support it for the inheritance themes?

4. Is there a stand-alone theme that still supports the outline function?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: Section outline function gone???

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Given that nobody has answered... I have no idea what 'the outline function' is? Maybe nobody else does? Is this really a question for the Themes forum (shall I move it)?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Sorry Ger I don't know what you mean either - did you mean the highlighting of the current week function? That is still available.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ger Tielemans -
What I mean: in a section I could move the activities/resources to the right (and back to the left) to create a nice Table of content for that section, replacing the need to describe how the resources and activities belong together (icons are hidden in css), like here in Moodle 3.8.3+
(the mechanism and the storage of the choices is still there - i can see that in some other themes -  but it does not show in 4+)

For me it is something  You cannot do in Canvas...
Here the example:

TOC in Sections
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks for the clarification. I think it is called indenting, and you are correct -it was removed in 4.0. Sander posted in the User experience course about indentation with the reasoning, if that helps.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ger Tielemans -
Ok, reading that answer and the comments: All the other proposed solutions require more mouse clicks and/or page refreshes, so I expect that it will come back in future releases, and - because the mechanism and the database-tables are not removed - I hope that third parties come with a theme that restors it in full glory:

tabtopicsMoove

Lesson learned: Removing options helps teachers to move to other platforms:

I remember a story at an educational institute that switched from a very sophisticated word processing system to a very simple one. When external experts asked the managers why??? they got the answer that the simple tool had more options. (Taking a closer look: the IT department had switched off many options in the beatiful tool, fearing that users could not handle these options.)

This Moodle design decision triggered this story from the 1980's in my memory
Average of ratings: Useful (3)