Moodle 4: move left and move right

Moodle 4: move left and move right

by Jean-Philippe Pellet -
Number of replies: 78

Hi,

I've just upgraded to Moodle 4 and although I like many new things, I was surprised by the disappearance of the Move Right and Move Left actions for activities. We use them a lot to structure content within a section a bit better.

Have they disappeared for good? Any way for me to bring them back? If not, any other workaround?

Thanks a lot,

Jean-Philippe

Average of ratings: Useful (6)
In reply to Jean-Philippe Pellet

Re: Moodle 4: move left and move right

Was I the only one to use Move Right to structure content?…
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Nathan Lind -
Hello Jean-Philippe,
You are NOT the only one to rely on Move Right / Move Left indenting in Moodle. Moodle HQ having removed that option in Moodle 4.0 is a huge oversight. It prevents any grouping of activities and resources. That along with the extreme vertical bloat (Moodle 4.0 activities take up to 300% more vertical space than Moodle 3.9) are a big disappointment for us. We are looking for alternatives, via Themes if possible, but really prefer Moodle HQ allow Admins to enable or disable having Move Right / Move Left indenting option available to our users.
Nathan
In reply to Nathan Lind

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for chiming in!

Totally agree regarding “vertical bloat” as well. I've found some CSS to help reduce it in one of the forum posts, to be set using the theme_boost | scss setting:

.activity-item:not(.activityinline) { border: none; padding: 0.1rem; }
.activityiconcontainer { width: 20px; height: 20px; }
.activityiconcontainer .activityicon, .activityiconcontainer .icon { width: 16px; height: 16px; }
.activitytitle .text-uppercase { display: none; }
.description .course-description-item:first-child { margin-top: 0.25rem; padding-top: 0.25rem; }
.description .course-description-item:last-child { padding-bottom: 0.25rem; }

I sure wish getting back Move Right/Move Left was as easy as tweaking a setting…

I do hope we'll get it back soon; hoping for some more feedback here!

Cheers,
J.-P.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)

by Rob Reilly -

Really appreciate this helpful CSS - moodle 4.0 only seems to have brought limitations and neutralised the small tweaks I've used to structure the course more intuitively (including the move left/move right.

by Leslie Harris -

Here at Bucknell, we also use the "move right" feature as a way to group items together visually.

I do hope that capability is restored to 4.0.

Leslie Harris
Bucknell University

In reply to Leslie Harris

by Séverin Terrier -
I also think it's a bad think that move right (and left) is not in Moodle 4.0 anymore.

I think you should create a tracker item for this (as a regression), and indicated link for people to vote/comment.

Séverin
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Séverin Terrier

Good idea, thanks Séverin. Here's the link: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-74846

I could not file this as "regression" as this was not one of the available issue types, but in the Affects Version field, I picked "4.0 regressions".

Best,
J.-P.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Nathan Lind -
In reply to Nathan Lind

by Séverin Terrier -
Thanks for these links.

Ok, so it seems from MDL-72725 it's completly volunteer and assumed to remove this ability to move right. And allow it to be used in non standard course formats.

So MDL-74846 is to add it again, but it would go against what was decided.

I feel that a good thing would have been (and still is) to put this ability as an option the admin could allow (deactivated by default), and not remove it completly, like lots of other settings can be allowed or not, to accomodate several different uses.

Séverin

Wow, the comment we can read on that issue saying that “[indentation] creates the potential for overuse and creating a cluttered course appearance”… Why not let the end users choose! Structured is not cluttered! Super long pages with just long sequences of activities are the clutter. Some activities do belong together within a single week (my typical use case is exercise + associated key as file + key as video as 3 activities). Let the teachers choose, please… I agree with Séverin that this should totally be an option!
In reply to Nathan Lind

by Michael Spall -
Nathan,

Based on the concept from the tracker that you mentioned, MDL-72725, course formats can have the indenting functionality. The code is there, it just needs to be enabled using this:
public function uses_indentation() {
    return false;
}
And then the divs and styles so that activities indent.

To make the transition to Moodle 4.0 easier for our faculty, we at Idaho State University (ISU) are considering creating two course formats, "weekly with indenting" and "topics with indenting". We installed the 4.0 version of Collapsed Topics on a dev system as a proof of concept and the indenting worked just fine. Changing the uses_indentation() to return true on the default weekly or topics course format turns on the functionality in the menu, so adding the divs and styles to the "... with indenting" course formats would be all that is needed. We would provide those formats back to the community.

We are also thinking of making a more core modification in course settings to turn indenting on or off. This would probably be harder to share with others that don't have as much access to their Moodle servers and ability to make code changes, but there could be advantages of doing it that way as well.

In reply to Michael Spall

Would be awesome, Michael. What does “adding the divs and styles to the "... with indenting" course formats” imply? Just some CSS or also changing php files?

by Michael Spall -
In Moodle 3.11 there are divs around items that provide the attributes that can be styled to be indented to different levels. In the Moodle 4.0, the default course formats don't have that. So, if you enable uses_indentation you get the menu items of move right and move left, but not the attributes and styles piece. If you look at the weekly format from Moodle 3.11 or the 4.0 version of Collapsed Topics you can see the parts that need added and the correct way to add them.

by Karen Smith -

No, you are not alone. That is a pretty important organization feature in my courses.

KSmith

by Sander Bangma -

Hi all,

I appreciate the thought and conversation occurring in this discussion and want to add some context to the decision to remove activity indentation from Moodle 4.0.

Some of this is discussed in MDL-72725, but worth bringing in here. We opted to remove the move right/left option for activities for a few reasons:

• The indentation option does not align well with the new designs for activities, being more 'card' like, especially when working within a max-width for the page content.
  • While many people will hopefully use indentation in a sensible way to create some hierarchy, we have also seen examples of it being overused with too many layers in ways in which it was never intended to be used. Sometimes providing all the options leads to scenarios where users can have too much freedom, in particular if they are not expert course designers.
  • While indentation can be used to create hierarchy, we recommend people use different strategies to do so. This includes the use of folders, books or pages, one section per page, etc. Examples of this are shown in the docs Streamline your course page. These suggestions also help reduce lengthy course pages.

At the same time, we were aware that some will still want that extra flexibility. Which is why we left in the option for custom course formats to tap into the indentation functionality.

We would also love to explore different means of bringing hierarchy in a course and I'd appreciate any thoughts on that you may wish to share.

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Sander Bangma

Hi Sander,

Thanks for your message. Good to have discussion about this. While I agree that too much freedom can bring inconsistency, I think the solution to completely disable it on the default course formats is quite radical. A lot of us have no control on the administration of our sites, and getting our institution's Moodle admin to make moves in big institutions is quite difficult even for simple settings, and getting them to install custom course formats places the bar too high for many of us.

Keep in mind that in many institutions, the Moodle admin may be well educated in how Moodle works, but is most of the time a technical staff member and not an expert educator or course designer. Thus, unfortunately, many times, potential (non-)modification decisions are unfortunately made more according to how easily maintainable the change is rather than how well it supports teaching and learning.

I agree that folders are a nice way to hide away some resources. But I wish like crazy that folders could contain not just files, but outright activities, which could then be disclosed or hidden right from the section page. I know this has some of the same specs as a collapsable section, but, once again, many of us need to be able to structure more within a section, and it would help reduce scroll of death as well.

Side note: if scroll of death is problem, both as a student and as a teacher, I have always thought that having to look around for course resources that are not directly on the main course page was also risky and I have always loved to have a good overview of the complete course material on a single page. I give very descriptive names to my activities so as to make the browser's page-search function effective. If activities or resources are on different pages, that doesn't work any more. That's why I love collapsible topics: it's the best of both worlds. I'd just want that additional structuring flexibility within a section.

BTW, personally I think I never use more than a single degree of indentation.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Best,
J.-P.

by Nathan Lind -
Jean-Philippe, and Sander, and Moodle HQ,
I absolutely, COMPLETELY, agree with Jean-Philippe's post above. Indentation is key, for grouping not only resources, but also activities. Many institutions don't have the ability/permission to add third-party course formats. The issue of "overuse" of indentation should be addressed by educating users, not removing options. Thousands of courses have been built at our institution, using indenting. Losing all of this context is a big problem.
Thank you for this discussion, and for considering allowing Moodle admins to enable or disable indenting.
Nathan
In reply to Nathan Lind

by Séverin Terrier -
Thanks Sander for providing details.

One of the good points in Moodle is flexibility, allowing different uses, completly differents one from others. Wanting and forcing everybody to do things one way (different from what existed previously in standard) is not the good way to do things for me. For real users, it is a regression.

I think having to create and add non standard course formats (just) to allow to use indenting (that was standard) is other complicated. Let it as an option, disabled by default, but something easy to use (again) if needed.

Séverin

by Przemek Kaszubski -
+1 for Séverin's solution to re-enable Move Right / Left , but make it a disabled option in NEW courses by default.

by Jeff Gregory -
Another +1 to re-enable Move Right / Left , but make it a disabled option in NEW courses by default.

by Nicolas Martignoni -

Thanks everybody for this discussion, especially Jean-Philippe for raising it.

But I wish like crazy that folders could contain not just files, but outright activities, which could then be disclosed or hidden right from the section page. I know this has some of the same specs as a collapsable section, but, once again, many of us need to be able to structure more within a section, and it would help reduce scroll of death as well.

Wouldn't the (optional and by default disabled) possibility of having course sub-sections (e.g. with a max number of sublevels) be a better solution in terms of UX?

In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

Oh, I had no clue about this subsection capability. Can we enable it in the standard course formats?

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Sorry Jean-Philippe, I surely wasn't clear enough: what I propose is a new "subsection course" feature, which would IMHO better suit UX *and* enable course hierarchisation.

To my knowledge, such a feature doesn't (yet) exist in Moodle.

I see! I would strongly be in favor of such a feature! Thanks for the clarification, Nicolas.

Best,
J.-P.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Moodle HQ team
How about the Flexible sections course format (recently upgraded to work with 4.0) https://moodle.org/plugins/format_flexsections
I blogged about it several years ago here https://moodle.com/news/flexible-sections-flexible-teaching-moodle-plugin-review/
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Przemek Kaszubski -
I have never tested this format, but I think a feature like this is needed in the Moodle core - at least in the Topics format. It would be great to be able to show / hide sub-sections, in the usual way, and maybe even add other access restrictions.

I just wonder to what extent development of UX section customisations is limited by the fact that that sections are not real nodes and contexts in Moodle, with permissions and all.
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

I agree with Przemek. As mentioned before, installing new course formats may just set the bar too high for many users who don't have access to site administration and cannot convince their Moodle admin.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nicolas Martignoni -

Unfortunately, for many of us it is not possible to get plugins installed sad. To quote Jean-Philippe:

Keep in mind that in many institutions, the Moodle admin (…) is most of the time a technical staff member and not an expert educator or course designer. Thus, unfortunately, many times, potential (non-)modification decisions are unfortunately made more according to how easily maintainable the change is rather than how well it supports teaching and learning.

by Nathan Lind -
Absolutely true. Many institutions cannot customize Moodle to solve the problem of the sudden removal of the option to indent with Move Right. *****Please, Moodle HQ*****, bring back Move Right soon! Or make an alternate that auto-converts existing course content with indentation when that content is restored into a new Moodle site that does not allow indentation.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Orestes Mas -
Really useful. I didn't know this course because it's a non-standard plugin. The problem is that It will be difficult to convince our institution to install it.

Moreover, it only mitigates the problem: it's useful to avoid the use of indented labels to express hierarchy between sections, but this method cannot be used to express hierarchy between the content itself. For instance, you would like to attach some PDF files/URL, etc. to a Workshop, and for that it would be useful to put these additional content under the workshop activity, indented to the right.

by Nicolas Martignoni -

FYI: it was announced during last Developer Meeting that MoodleHQ will research on Course hierarchy (around 13:07 in the recording).

Attachment devmeeting.png

by Przemek Kaszubski -
I watched the Developer Meeting video with much interest.

It would be very useful if the likely directions of these discussions / decisions were conveyed to the community soon.

Specifically, should we invest time in https://moodle.org/plugins/format_flexsections ? Is there a possibility that flexsections will become a part of the Moodle 4.2 core ? Or might we expect a scenario similar to how the H5P and BBB features landed in the core - where the original external plugins had been superseded by new native plugins?

My institution will be switching to 4.1 rather than 4.2 in the summer; I would very interested to know if investing in flexsections can pay off before a later upgrade to 4.2 or higher. We try to rely on the Moodle core for basic functionalities.

Thanks for any responses and insights. Kind regards,

Przemek

by Seth Martin -
This, one hundred percent. Moodle core really should have the ability to create subsections. Having to use folders and books to organize a course really isn't a good user experience. Both of those options are too limited in what can be included in them.

by Garth Brady -
I was not aware of 'Stealth activities'...  This is an interesting option for sure....  The idea of hiding these required activities from the course homepage in order to declutter things is a pros/cons conversation (I don't know that I'd like to have to sift through pages of stealth activities hunting for a incomplete one, though I recognize that if my teacher displayed the gradebook I could see it there) and the idea of listing ALL activities on the course homepage certainly makes a strong case for the SOD (while overwhelming many students if displayed all at the same time).

What it seems to boil down to is that a teacher needs to know their students and present material in a way that fits their abilities and learning styles. I was a HUGE user of the indentation option previously because it allowed me to nest items creating visual organization to a lot of activities.  In my case, adding nested subsections is not super helpful as I might have one main item and nested 2 beneath it (adding subsections here would make the SOD even longer with all the new headings). 

For me, the ideal is Activity Folders where we can place ANY moodle Resource/Activity inside ANY collapsible Resource/Activity.  Failing this, bringing back indentation would be my vote.

by Sander Bangma -
Hi all,

Firstly, thank you for keeping this discussion active and lively.
We are planning a UX research piece to investigate the various use cases and explore solutions for bringing in additional hierarchy in a Moodle course.

I anticipate this to commence in Oct/Nov this year - so please stay tuned. We will be inviting people to join in a provide inputs for this.

by Gemma Lesterhuis -

Hi Sander,

I am happy to hear there is UX research planned for it later this year, but does that also not mean that nothing will be changed in the upcoming 4.1 LTS release?  Just a thought... for the mean time would it not be better to create this as a setting by example in Boost theme so for 4.1 LTS at least a site admin can decided to turn this on or off? 

Gemma

by Michael Tanczos -
You may want to explore ux inconsistencies like how indentation can be used in forum posts to show threading but it isn't okay for activities.   I'm still very upset that all the indentation data was trashed and that the feature was dropped.

If you have a lot of resources you need more hierarchy options.  It's the same reason document outlines are created to outline large bodies of text rather than single bulleted lists.  
In reply to Michael Tanczos

by Nathan Lind -
Excellent observation Michael. Forums use indentation, and have for years.

by Gavin Henrick -

HI Sander,

One thing to I would be concerned about is that recommending people to move fromhaving files resources listed on the course page, and moving them into a folder is they lose some key functionality.

The student can't see each file as being marked complete once they are downloading them (a project checklist)

The teacher cannot see if a student downloads a specific file anymore, and thus cannot intervene if the student has not read the workshop pre-reading a day before the workshop.

If a teacher runs weekly workshops and currently has the workshop pre-reading file on the course page, it can have individual  completion tracking, and has an event log entry showing if they viewed it or not. Then the teacher can use one of the core reports to message anyone who has not yet viewed it a few days before the workshop to remind them to.

So compounding the lack of visual control, is a removal of oversight and ability to for the teacher to meaningfully intervene if the user is not preparing correctly.

There are other issues too where they maybe have a list of files, which some have access to all and then a group has their own files for a project for example. You would need a folder for all-students and then a folder per group due to restrict access limitations here as well.

So the move from a file resource being an activity to being a thing in an activity, loses

• completion tracking
  • log reporting
  • restrict access options
  • common settings (groups grouping etc) 
  • tagging...

Would suggest that unless these are put in a folder at a file level that it is not a suitable replacement and should be recommended against.

My 2 cents.

Gavin

Average of ratings: Useful (8)

by L T -

Thanks for posting this. For some reason, in our environment that was upgraded to Moodle 4 from 3.9.15+, the buttons carried over (see picture). 
I was trying to figure out why they did not function until I found your forum post.

This is also a functionality we used very often- and would like to see returned, if possible.

Attachment Screenshot 2022-08-11 163315.png
In reply to L T

by Nathan Lind -
L T, wondering if activities and resources that were previously indented in an earlier version of Moodle that still had Move Right are still indented when restored into your Moodle 4+ that does not allow indentation?
In reply to Nathan Lind

by L T -
No, the indentation is no longer there in courses that had it before the upgrade to Moodle 4+

In reply to L T

by Nathan Lind -
Data loss caused by an upgrade of Moodle from 3.9 to 4.0 is a big deal. Removal of the existing indentation of activities, and resources, is a major problem. Please bring back indentation, and if you like, limit it to one or two levels. Or convert existing indentation to a bulleted list or similar.
In reply to Nathan Lind

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Yes, I agree. I think removal of a feature (especially a long-lasting and widely used one like this) should be subject to a careful deprecation policy, for example similar to the one applied to the gradual replacement of the Atto editor with TinyMCE. Users should be given time to adjust their practice. And / or admins should receive loud warnings advising against early upgrades.
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Séverin Terrier -
I totally agree with you!

And at least, this should be considered as a regression (loss of functionnality), and clearly indicated and marked as such in the release notes.
In reply to Nathan Lind

by CECASACLE IES San Clemente -

I totally agree with you.

I have many teachers at my School complaining about the missed indentation. I'm the moodle admin and I don't know what to say, just "we have to wait to next developments".

I try to maintain updated my moodle to the latest version available every 2-3 weeks and after each update I allways check the move right option with no luck !

Please, please !!!  fix it as soon as possible. We need that option !

Thank you.

by José Moya -

Hi!

Just preparing for the new course (starts on september) and I found these annoying big resource blocks and the unability to move left/right.

I upvoted the "convert left/right blocks to bullet lists" solution in the tracker. 

I would also ask why these giant blocks. If at least they used a BIG font size for the inner text/description...

The only solution I see is converting all resources to hidden resources and make a visible "tag" with a bulleted list of resources.

by Michael Milette -

+1 to re-enable Move Right / Left in both Topics and Weekly course formats.

If you are concerned about over indentation, perhaps limiting it to just one or two levels might be a fair compromise?

In reply to Michael Milette

by Vincent MARECHAL -

Hello,

Right, it can be limited, but please put it back.

Without it it's a mess, and all courses must be rewrited totally,

Worst, for young students it's worse...

Thanks.

In reply to Vincent MARECHAL

by Jaume Miralles -

Hello,

Right, it can be limited, but please put it back.

Thanks.

by Matt Jackson -

Hello,

This option would be very helpful. 

In reply to Matt Jackson

by Nathan Lind -

I realize this is where I should post my summary. Thank you for your recent posts. I felt the need to summarize the significant concerns raised by the Moodle Admin/Users community:

@MoodleHQ (I know Sander is leaving Moodle in the next few days, so hope someone picks this up) I feel the need to summarize the main concerns:

• MoodleHQ removed the Move Right option with little to no discussion with the community, or choice being provided to Admins
    • In contrast, when the text editor was being switched from TinyMCE to Atto years ago, there was lots of discussion, feedback, time (years!), and choice (for admins)
  • The removal of Move Right for indenting does indeed delete course data/context when a Moodle site is upgraded to Moodle 4+
    • The suggested solution to just use a third-party Moodle course format, like Collapsed Topics, to try to keep Move Right is not an acceptable option for schools/sites that use a hosting service where they cannot control the upgrade schedule/choice and cannot install third-party course formats. Also third-party formats may choose to stop development for future Moodle versions.
  • The stance that MoodleHQ wants to take time to deliberate on whether, when, and how to bring some new form of hierarchy to Moodle courses in 4.2 does not address this concern for right now!
  • 50 people have voted for this improvement on another Moodle Tracker item from 6 months ago!: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-74846 
    • Moodle Admins report being "directly hit" and "heavily impacted" at their institutions by this "radical" change to Moodle core due to the removal of Move Right
    • Also, suggestions to, "put this ability as an option the admin could allow (deactivated by default), and not remove it completely, like lots of other settings can be allowed or not, to accommodate several different uses"
    • and "Structured is not cluttered" and "Why not let the end users choose!"
    • and "a lot of people angry when sites migrate to 4.0 and up"
    • This Tracker item was created after lots of frustrations were already expressed here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=434193 
  • The suggestion from MoodleHQ for Moodle users to just other options instead of Move Right, like "Folders" and "One Section per Page" do not suffice:
    • Folders:
      • Folders break autolinking so putting resources into a Folder does not fulfill the use-case for Move Right, AND
      • Folders cannot contain Activities, only resources
      • Folders break Activity Completion 
      • Folders limit Restricted Access options
      • Folders limit the applicability of Log data (when each resource/activity was viewed)
      • Folders don't allow granular use of Groups
    • One Section per Page: Does not allow a user to scan a course for an activity/resource/label, or search with Ctrl-F or Cmd-F (Mac) 
  • The suggestion to create a "Subsection" option at some future time will not suffice either (too delayed and data is still lost when upgrading to Moodle 4+ which is a major issue, and pain to recreate hierarchy from scratch and memory)
  • Please give Admins the choice to turn Move Right back on in their Moodle 4.0+ instances, even perhaps limiting to one Move Right (so no-one can use it to center content, which is an extreme rarity anyway, if that is really a concern (I've NEVER seen that happen in 16 years))
  • And/Or Moodle HQ could auto-convert any activity/resources in existing sites to a bulleted list (even without a visible bullet) to maintain hierarchy, choice, and to not lose the existing indentation data when updating a site from 3.9 to 4+. 
  • Whatever the response, we need action soon before more data is lost and more faculty and students are confused. 
  • Moodle HQ PLEASE help!

Lastly, this Tracker item is marked as "Development in Progress" but has not had activity recently. Can it get attention?

1. Moodle
  2. MDL-74846
In reply to Nathan Lind

by Zoe Rippon -
Hi Everyone,

Firstly, thank you Nathan for taking the time to summarise the issue to date. You are correct, Sander is finishing up with Moodle this week. However, rest assured this issue is being prioritised by the Products Team.

We are kicking off a dedicated review of the issue starting next week and it is confirmed as a priority for our LMS team to address in the coming months. The review will be undertaken by our Senior UX Researcher, Setara together with the LMS team and will start with looking at what we know today (which includes all of the valuable ideas and feedback you have all provided) and some necessary investigation into different needs and potential solutions. The goal of which is to have a proposed approach forward to socialise in the coming months.

We will be reaching out directly to some people on this thread to invite you to participate in our review, so please keep an eye out for an invitation from Setara.

On behalf of the broader products team, I want to reiterate that we are listening and taking your feedback and concerns seriously. This is a prioritised, important piece of work and we look forward to getting to a great outcome together.
In reply to Zoe Rippon

by Garth Brady -
Glad to hear it! Thanks, Zoe and Moodle team! Bringing back the ability to nest items is incredibly valuable to our students and staff.

Ri: Moodle 4: move left and move right

by Matteo Candita -
Hello!

I manage Moodle for my school. I too found the new UX too blocky and too hard to read. I heavily relied on move right for ease of read.

Just as a workaround I want to share with you some custom CSS I added: I'm currently using the Moove theme and i took some of the code posted before in this thread and added something to add some margins. I find it way more readable!

CSS:

//I find showing all the activities in the index summary is way too confusing. This code changes it so to show only the section names!
.courseindex-chevron{display:none;}
.courseindex-item-content{display:none;}

//I added some margin so the activities remain centered while the section is full width. If you visit the website on narrow screens (I'm thinking smartphone) it does not add the margins.

@media (min-width:500px){
.activity{margin-left:20%; margin-right:20%;}
}

//this is more or less the code found above. It's more slim and readable

.activity-item:not(.activityinline) { border: none; border-top: 1px solid lightgray; padding: 0.1rem; }
.activitytitle .text-uppercase { display: none; }
.description .course-description-item:first-child { margin-top: 0.25rem; padding-top: 0.25rem; }
.description .course-description-item:last-child { padding-bottom: 0.25rem; }
.activityiconcontainer .activityicon, .activityiconcontainer .icon { width: 20px; height: 20px; }

Hope it helps!!

For reference I'm posting a before and after

Before

before

After

after
In reply to Matteo Candita

Re: Ri: Moodle 4: move left and move right

by José Moya -
Well, the problem is your solution does not apply when you don't have control over the theme (Moodle courses hosted in a central place, such as Spanish public Schools, who have their moodle sites hosted in government servers). 

But the ability to hide activities on side pane would be great. Or, at least, open side pane with all sections closed.

Regards,

José Moya

Spain

In reply to José Moya

Ri: Re: Ri: Moodle 4: move left and move right

by Matteo Candita -
Absolutely, I agree! This is far from being a solution!
It involves being system administrator and having some tech skills. It should not be so difficult and I hope they fix it at a platform level as soon as possible. I wanted to share my temporary workaround for those who are able to use it!

And yes, the side pane as is it's way too cluttered! An option to choose what to show is in order!

ຕອບກັບ: Moodle 4: move left and move right

by JAUME YP -

Hello,  

I'm very much agree with this thread and the several that are similar talking about this topic. 

Any news about this topic? 

I'm on 3.11 waiting (like many admins in 3.8, 3.9 and 3.11) to be able to upgrade to the latest moodle 4.x version. 

...But the impossibility of prioritizing or organize content without the option to move to the right or left, the file icon don't show the type (pdf, word, wmv, mpeg, avi) and the excessive vertical spacing are regressions that keep me out of date.

Thank you

by Marie Achour -
Hello everyone,

I wanted to provide you with an update on the progress being made here at Moodle HQ on this topic and refer you to IDEA-4 on our Product Roadmap [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/IDEA-4] which captures the work being completed right now to address your concerns. Specifically, I'd like to draw your attention to MDL-76888 [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-76888] which details the designs of our new solution to this issue.

We are progressing well with the development of our 'Short Term' solution [https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-76890] which will be available in Moodle LMS 4.2 and continue to progress our 'Long Term' solution which is already prioritised for delivery following the 4.2 release.

You can also watch this video from the team working on this topic which details the process we have followed to design these solutions and access the figma files from the Tracker to see the prototypes of the design.

I hope this is useful.

Marie
In reply to Marie Achour

by Ger Tielemans -

I see that there is discussion about the intend function and the subsection option: with the intend function in a section you can create a visual "gestalt" overview/relation of the activities and resources in a section like a TOC in a book. Without intend you have to write down in an introduction text how the resources and activities belong together. (Small hint: users don't read text)

With subsection approaches you create for most users a "lost in hyperspace experience": by clicking on a subsection title they jump in a wormhole and have no clue how to go back to the higher level (we tested that and gave up this approach for that reason)

In reply to Marie Achour

by Peter Diedrichs -
It is great that indention will return while the team is figuring out a long term solution to group course content.
But I do hope it will be made available for 4.1.x as well, 4.1 being a LTS version!
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

by Mary Cooch -
Here is the backport tracker issue and you can see it is backported to 4.1.3 (and also to 4.0.8) https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-76994
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Peter Diedrichs -
Thank you Mary, that is great!

We are upgrading 3.11 > 4.1 this year, and the missing indent (and no better way to group activities/resources) was one of the main things the test group remarked on. 

I look forward to the further development, until then I’m glad to be able to get back the indent 👍🏻

by Seth Martin -
I know that the removal of indentation has caused lots of problems for course organization for people, but I have to agree with several of the replies that point out that indentation was never the correct way to organize a course, it was just the only workable solution within the limitations of Moodle v3; it was always a kludge, if a neccessary one. From a UX perspective, there needs to be a better course organization method than indentation and I'm glad that the devs are working towards that, though I'm surprised they didn't think of this issue during development. Course hierarchy is an important issue, especially when a course includes lots of activities and resources.

by JAUME YP -
 The problem is not that the indentation has been eliminated, the problem is that it has been eliminated without there being a FUNCTIONAL alternative to the organization of the courses.

Actually, indentation from 3.11 has not returned in version 4.2.

Indentation in moodle 4.2 ONLY HAS ONE LEVEL.

Users do not ask for a 15-level indentation, but less than three levels...

I get the feeling that moodle programmers aren't teachers and with the 4.x releases in terms of UX, there has been a big step back in functionality and organization to a clean Apple-like interface...

In reply to JAUME YP

by Sabina Abellan -
Hi Jaume,

Many thanks for your comment on this topic. I'm Sabina Abellán, UX designer at one of the Educational Solutions teams at HQ. I understand your frustration about not having more than 1 level of indentation in 4.2. The product decision was made after conducting an exhaustive research interviewing 8 advanced users from the community and a co-design workshop in which participants were able to provide their own ideas for creating their ideal course structure concept.

The results of the research showed that 3 levels of hierarchy were more than enough for them and the majority of users they spoke to, and that's why we decided to only apply one level of indentation in the short-term solution. We have the section/topic (1st level), followed by the activity without indentation (2nd level) and lastly the indented activity (3rd level). Indentation was removed in 4.0 due to the multiple accessibility and usability issues that was causing, and as some of the users pointed in this thread, indentation is not a good solution to create proper structure in a course.

As we are going to develop the long-term solution for the Course hierarchy project for 4.3 in which users will be able to create subsections within main sections and also indent activities up to 1 level, we agreed that as a temporary solution, one level of indentation was enough to allow teachers to create some structure within the course without damaging the usability of the overview page.

I hope this information is helpful,
Many thanks

Sabina
In reply to Sabina Abellan

by Peter Diedrichs -
Sabina, a question about upgrading and indent.
When upgrading our test server from 3.11 to 4.1, the indent was of course gone, and already made indents didn’t come back in old courses when we upgraded to 4.1.3
Is there any way to keep the existing indents when we upgrade our production server?
(I think the plans for a long-time solution sounds very good!)

Re: Moodle 4: move left and move right - getting indentation back after upgrading

by Helen Foster -

Good question Peter!

After upgrading to 4.1.3 or 4.2, to get existing indentation back you need to go to the settings pages for Topics and Weekly formats (via Site admin > Plugins > Manage course formats) and tick 'Allow indentation on course page'.

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Moodle 4: move left and move right - getting indentation back after upgrading

by Peter Diedrichs -
Thank you, Helen! Thats great!

I did check the setting, but - very stupid of me - also clicked "Reset indention", thus obviously lost all the previously made indents on our test site. But now I know, then 🙂 I'll be more careful when we upgrade the production system.

(To my excuse, in Swedish "reset" and "restore" has the same word, "återställ", and I acted too fast even though I was using English. It's was a similar problem with the options "Reset course" and "Restore course", both was called "Återställ kurs" when we started with Moodle in 2007. That was a great setup for accidents, until we changed the Swedish text string 😅 )

by Mary Cooch -
That's a great example of the importance of good language translations, Peter smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Peter Diedrichs -
Indeed, Mary, the devil is in the details 😉
Also, the importance of having dedicated language strings everywhere. There are a few buttons/functions (and plugins) in Moodle where the same core string is recycled, and that may work less good in different languages. But in this case it was just bad translation, and overall I think Moodle is very well prepared for managing multiple languages.

(The transition to Moodle 4 seems like a great opportunity to make more radical changes, and also to clean up all our old sins! Right now we are struggling to find a better word in Swedish for the very important concept of "Groupings". We've used a Swedish word for many years, "Gruppindelningar", but that says too little on what a "group of groups" is really about and it gets misinterpreted by the users.)

by JAUME YP -
Thanks to you Sabina for answering the post.

Yes, it's frustating, because i'm stuck in version 3.11 and i see how moodle is updated without a solution for the regressions that were implemented in 4.0.

Let's see if for version 4.3 you can solve:

1) loss of order in large courses due to lack of hierarchy levels

2) The excessive vertical spacing (with that it seems that you do not have usability problems)

3) icons that no longer show the file type...

For example:

Let's say I have a course on “Electrical machines” (it's a subject and we have awarded a course per subject).

In said “Electrical machines” course has three big topics (“Static machines”, Rotary machines” and “Electrical risk prevention”). Here we use sections.

Within each section let's put that I have “conceptual theory”, here I would put in activity without indentation labels with titles
“practice”, “testing”, “calculation”... bleeding labels with titles, and all the content of each section I apply indentation level 1.

I can no longer order anything within each section.

If there are different theoretical aspects. they are all mixed, if I do different exercises, they are mixed with the solution files.

This forces to create folders, where I already lose control and supervision, books instead of files, which makes the information remain hidden in the book, and in the end, makes finding content very difficult.

Usability is not improved by hiding things.

In my opinion, if sections and subsections and sub-subsections are not created, the 3-level indentation is needed for an average use (I consider it is for a few users with very dense courses...)
In reply to JAUME YP

by Sabina Abellan -
Hi Jaume,

Thanks for your reply and the example scenario. Along with the long-term Course hierarchy project, we've been working on the redesign of the activity cards in the course overview page, as we're very conscious of the pain points the scroll of death is causing to our users, so:

1) This will be tackled in the long-term solution for the Course hierarchy. Apart of creating levels of hierarchy, we'll improve the navigation within the different levels of structure of the course, easing the way in which the user knows where they are, how to come back to previous levels or how to move to the next activity/section/subsection.

2) As I said above, we're working on reducing the vertical space used drastically so it doesn't imply a massive scroll to scan the course and more content can be viewed at a glance. For further information on the progress of this check the issue about Activity cards redesign.

3) With the redesign of the activity cards we're also tackling the improvement of the Activity icons, and the mime type files will be back so users can easily identify and distinguish between different type files.

For the example you wrote, this is my suggestion for the time being, while the long-term solution for Course hierarchy is not here:

- Static machines, Rotary machines and Electrical risk prevention (sections/topics)

- Practice, Testing, Calculation > Text and media/Label activities with 1 level indentation)

- Any activity under Practice, Testing and Calculation can be added as 'Stealth' activity to its correspondent Text and media/Label activity, so all the exercises under these categories are linked in the same visual container. Within Text and media/Label activities, you are able to use different text options, so you can separate your different types of exercises or theory within these categories by adding different headings before each set of stealth activities' links.

Please check this video I recorded to help you visualize how can you create better structure within your course with the current features available in Moodle core.

Also, you can add indented activities outside of the main Text and media/Labels activities (Practice, Testing and Calculation), so you can have another level of hierarchy in your course.

I hope that helps to better organize your course content while the long-term solution is being implemented.
Cheers,

Sabina

by Michael Medvinsky -
I wish I knew to join this community couple of years ago!
Here is my few pennies.
(when I say "you" below, I mean Moodle - so this is not personal)

> The results of the research showed that 3 levels of hierarchy were more than enough for them and the majority of users they spoke to, and that's why we decided to only apply one level of indentation in the 
>short-term solution. We have the section/topic (1st level), followed by the activity without indentation (2nd level) and lastly the indented activity (3rd level). Indentation was removed in 4.0 due to the multiple 
>accessibility and usability issues that was causing, and as some of the users pointed in this thread, indentation is not a good solution to create proper structure in a course.

1) We at 2024 now, no indentation at my place has returned, not even one, not sure what version do we use, but most likely updated before the fall semester.

2) While I agree with 3 levels, I count it very differently then you  - I don't know what is section in your terminology, but in topic format I do not count topic as an indentation, I start counting the indentation inside the topic. I can't say whether I used to more than 3 ever,  I would definitely feel better with 3 rather with nothing that I still have, or even one.

3) What makes you think that interviewing 8 advanced users is an exhaustive research? This is a very superficial research (regardless of how many questions each of the 8 answered), it is not a statistically representative population, first because this is 8 out of millions, second not all users advanced as you wish. If you would know your users, you would understand that not everyone have enough time to make "perfect" design that no one needs. You would also learn that not all of your users intent to be course designers even in a long run. Some of us, if not the majority, need a fast, convenient and somewhat structured way to provide information to students, without thinking of "perfect" design.

4) If you didn't intend for the feature to be used as it actually used - learn from it, don't kill it!

5) Think about this, you had different ways to make a "better" design but a simple feature was used by millions. Instead of understanding needs of you users, you remove it. Now, instead of admitting your mistake and immediately return it (at least until we have a "better" solution\alternative in your opinion), you are
a) defend your brutal worst ever change by explaining why your decision is correct.
b) spend multiple years to create a "better", more complex and expensive feature(s?) that will probably solve the same problem, and hopefully will be used as you want it, if at all.
c) just neglected your users, and continue neglecting, to conclude it.

Rule of thumb - good user interface is when the user don't need to read tons of documentations to do what he needs immediately.
Videos is not the best documentation - reading is faster.
Why I adding videos here?
From the thread above I learned about "books" and "pages" (I actually considered pages in past, but it didn't work for me then)  and googled for the information - I saw couple of similar videos which doesn't provide enough information, nor being able to convince me this is what I was missing all the time.

Regarding the vertical bloating.
If I'm on a computer, with a big monitor, which DOESN'T HAVE a touch-screen, why should I have activity use two of my fingers space?
How should this help me in any way?
When I try to zoom it - when the space is reasonable - I can't read it, and it hard impossible to find the golden ratio.

You can definitely know when user is on a smartphone and when on a computer, so there should not be an issue with small touch screens.
Can you at least remove the extra space in editing mode?

Sorry for not being constructive, but I wish I could switch out of Moodle, the last time I loved it was more than 10 years ago.
In reply to Michael Medvinsky

by Helen Foster -

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

With such a long discussion thread plus a number of tracker issues, it's not easy to find out what has actually been done with regard to indentation in recent versions of Moodle. Thus, I'm just mentioning that in Moodle 4.2 onwards (also 4.1.3 and 4.0.8), you can now indent items one place to the right (or to the left for right-to-left languages) for courses in Topics or Weekly formats.

It's enabled by default in new sites, however for sites upgrading from earlier 4.0 or 4.1 versions it needs to be enabled by a site admin, as described in the doc Upgrading to 4.2.

After the site admin enables it, they have the option to reset indentation previously set (though only one level).

It's possible you could get one level of indentation back!

In reply to JAUME YP

by Vaya Willemen -
I completely agree. The issue of first having no indentation possibilities anymore created a lot of issues. Teachers had to spend an insane amount of time restructuring and redsigning their course. Time they did not have, and if they did it was time they were not paid for.

Then the possibility of indentation was returned, so luckily you would think that courses no longer had to be redesigned from scratch. But it turns out only one indentation level is possible! According to interaction-design.org and other sources, the max number of indentations in a UX is three. 

Not 1, but 3!

Nobody is advocating to use level upon level of indentation. But please let teachers, or at least Moodle admins decide the max number of indentations that are allowed. So every institute can set that variable for themselves.

I could live with a max of 2 indentation levels. Indentation is the only way at the moment to structure courses in collapsed topic format, since there are no collapsible sub-topics possible. 

It is unbelievable that such a one-sided decision has been made, without discussing it thouroughly with the community. The impact of it has been huge. So many useless hours have been spent having to re-arrange, re-structure, re-design existing courses. Hours that teachers don't have, that could have been better spent, ...

by Dominique Bauer -

I just looked at a few sites: Wikipedia, Google help, Edge help, W3Schools, MoodleDocs and a few others. Indents are not used there. I now think that, in the majority of cases, the pages of a Moodle course could also be made without indentation.

For texts, the margins can be increased easily if needed, for example for a quote using <div style="margin-left:100px;"> which will create an indentation of about 1 in. To accentuate the indentation of a list, <ol style="margin-left:100px;"> does the trick.

In case non-text activities (file, folder, quiz, etc.) need to be indented, a small script can be used but this is not easy for everyone. Although indentations should be avoided as much as possible, they may be useful in some cases. And while I don't think I would use them anymore, Michael's suggestion to limit the identification to one or two levels also seems like a fair compromise to me.