Updated to 4.0 now no site appears

Updated to 4.0 now no site appears

by Andrew Fovargue -
Number of replies: 6

Just updated to 4.0 and now nothing appears but a black screen. Tried in Chrome, Firefox and Opera and all the same. I cant see the home page or even log in to attempt to change anything.

This is my url: https://spaldinghighschool.co.uk

Its just a black page.

Im assuming that its probably the theme thats causing the issue but everything was up to date before the install was done and no theme was highlighted during the install as an issue. I went from 3.11.6 to 4.0

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Fovargue

Re: Updated to 4.0 now no site appears

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
A lot of people seem to be having problems because they didn't check optional plugins (especially themes) were compatible with Moodle 4. Either delete the optional theme directory and/or set

$CFG->theme = 'boost';

in your config.php and see if it helps.

Failing that, check your web server's error log.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Andrew Fovargue -
As said no warning for the theme was raised. Have followed your advice and changed the config.php file to include the reference to boost and that has worked.
Will have to wait for theme updates before can restore the site the familiar theme.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It depends what you did. If you just copied the theme over then there would be no warning. Moodle plugins don't have a 'maximum' version in their settings. If, however, you look in the plugins database it shows you which versions the theme is compatible with. 

Moodle 4 is visually quite different so it'll be interesting to see what happens with themes and course formats.

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Hi Andrew,

Just checked the site and it looks fine on my browser. You may wish to clear the cache on yours.