Cannot reach moodle after upgrade from 3.11.6 to 4.0

Cannot reach moodle after upgrade from 3.11.6 to 4.0

by David Le Blanc -
Number of replies: 4

I just upgraded my moodle but cannot reach my https://********/moodle30/admin/    to complete the process. I did perform a backup before the upgrade, but I am unsure how to proceed to either restore the previous version or complete the backup. Can anyone suggest the steps I should take from here? 😱                          

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Le Blanc

Re: Cannot reach moodle after upgrade from 3.11.6 to 4.0

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Can you explain in more detail what "cannot reach" means? Check the web server error log? Anything in there?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Cannot reach moodle after upgrade from 3.11.6 to 4.0

by David Le Blanc -

Thanks for your reply Howard. The problem occured immediately following what looked like a seemless upgrade. I was at the last step of where you visit your https://##########/moodle30/admin/ page to complete the process but could not connect. From what I can see, this is the application-level error that was a result of the incomplete upgrade. I will continue investigating possible solutions. Fortunately, I did a site backup. My only worry is should it not restore. I want to do a few more investigations before going down that route.  After a few tweeks, it looked like I can reinitiate the upgrade; however, I do see the following warning at the top of the page: 

Warning: Declaration of format_flexsections::get_section_number($section): int should be compatible with core_courseformat\base::get_section_number(): int in /home/##########/public_html/moodle30/course/format/flexsections/lib.php on line 0

Before proceding, I am going to look at a few other areas. I will post a reply when I see how it goes. Thanks again Howard. You've helped me out of one or two jams in the past. 👍

In reply to David Le Blanc

Ri: Re: Cannot reach moodle after upgrade from 3.11.6 to 4.0

by Sergio Rabellino -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
As one of the most prominent changes in Moodle 4 is the course management, i suggest to NOT upgrade until you are double-sure that all of your plugins are up-to-date and flexsections  (which throws the error) is formally not available for moodle > 3.8 ... This is true, especially for plugins that modify/change/integrate the course appearance/format.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Sergio Rabellino

Re: Ri: Re: Cannot reach moodle after upgrade from 3.11.6 to 4.0

by David Le Blanc -
Yikes! I wasn't aware of that. Unfortunately, I went through with the upgrade and am experiencing trouble viewing my dashboard
An error page is displayed that shows: Exception - Return value of format_flexsections::get_section_number() must be of the type int, null returned
Can you suggestion how to rescove this issue?

Never mind. I followed your lead and edited all courses that were using  flexsections and changed these to topcs format. It seems to have resolved the issues. Thanks again Sergio for your timely prompt. 😌
Average of ratings: Useful (1)