Presets site administrator

Presets site administrator

by Alain Raap -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have a question about the new admin tool in Moodle 4.0 that can export/import presets of your Moodle site. I see that sometimes values in the admin backend are not saved in the xml file. Is it safe and reliable to use this tool to export and import your site admin settings from one Moodle instance to another Moodle instance? What's the best practice to use it?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alain Raap

Re: Presets site administrator

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I used to use the plugin all the time when I used to just fire up a new site every year and would bring in all my settings from the previous site.  I suspect, like the plugin, some settings (mainly from third party plugins) might not make it across...I also wonder what would happen when you import settings for a plugin that does not exist in the new site...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Alain Raap -
Hi Emma,

About your last question, you get errors in the admin backend that the plugin can't be found.
I think that exporting and importing the Moodle data and database is more safe to use to
exchange your Moodle site data to another Moodle instance? As we use a DTAP process for
software development, that's the most simple and reliable solution to use for us.
In reply to Alain Raap

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Ahh, but I didn't want the data. I wanted the site to be identical in looks and function without the data. Hence the need for this!
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Alain Raap -
I see, I am looking at Moodle 4.0 out-of-the-box, and the problem is the enormous amount of settings in the Moodle backend to configure. We're using Moodle 3.9 now, if you start with a clean Moodle 4.0 all your settings are gone and to configure them from scratch is a hell of a job.