Groups and Sub-Groups

Groups and Sub-Groups

by John Arkens -
Number of replies: 4

Hello all,

I am an absolute newbie to Moodle.  I have searched the documentation and the forums, gaining some information, but I still haven't been able to comprehend  wholly groups.

My school is looking for a certain design for these groups, and I wonder if and how this is possible with Moodle.

We would like teachers and department heads to be able to create their own courses.  Under each department would be all the classes for the teachers.  Yet, each teacher is only able to view their own class and the department head able to view their department.

Is this possible, or is there a better way of working around this situation?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Arkens

Re: Groups and Sub-Groups

by Steve Iman -
John: I'm a newbie myself, but depending on the complexity of your design, I'm sure that what you want is possible. I installed a version of Moodle with the help of a friend and designed "categories" of courses (departments?). Within separate categores I created "courses". (Actually, when I design a course and offer various sections, I create a back up of one section, and with use it for all handouts, assignments, etc. in a second version of the section.) In each course the administrator can assign teachers. There may be some administrator configurations related to "categories" but I'm not sure. Giving the department head administrative priveleges would allow him or her to scan and review all courses in the moodle.

So I'm just wanting to be optimistic, and I bet you'll get better answers.
In reply to Steve Iman

by John Arkens -

Update:

The department heads and teachers are no longer designated to create courses, just those with admin privileges.  Now the design looks similar to this:

• School
    • Department
      • Courses
        • Students/Teachers

The problem with this is students being in multiple departments, or groups.  I've looked over the forums and saw something about multiple groups functionality in Moodle 1.6.  Can anyone point me to some information on that?

Thanks

In reply to John Arkens

by Kristofer Breig -

Hello John, antoher newbie here almost one year later, with the same issue/question you had - the department head should be able to see all classes (groups?) but each teacher should only be able to see their own class (group)?

Have you solved your issue and how?

Best regards,

Kristofer

In reply to Kristofer Breig

by Jit San Chia -

If you are using version 1.7, I think this situation is simple by assigning different roles to department heads and teachers.

Create a "category" for each department. Assign "course creator" role in this particular "category" to the department head.

When a teacher under this department needs to build a course, he/she will request it from the department head, who will set up an empty course, and assign "teacher" role in the course to this particular teacher. The teacher will build the course and assign students.

In this way, the teacher can only see his/her own course. The department head, as the "course creator" of the whole "category" (department), can see all courses in that "category".

Hope I am not oversimplifying the situation : )