Course templates plugin got huge upgrade!

by Flotter Totte -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi all,😀

Thanks to Andrew Caya and the University of Montreal, the course templates plugin got a huge update:

1. Non-admin users (a Category Manager for example) will be able to create a course from a template
  2. Usage of standard Moodle forms for most of the plugin's forms.
  3. Client-side and server-side validation on all forms,
  4. Support for long-lasting course creation processes
  5. Moodle notifications when the course creation process fails
  6. French version of all translated strings submitted to the Amos database.
  7. Standard Moodle installation procedure,
  8. Silent upgrade for current users ($oldversion < 2021121500),
  9. Adds the 'Course templates' category if none is found (applies to both installation and upgrade procedures).

Also codewise, pluign got imrproved

1. Fix of translation strings.
  2. All hard-coded strings were replaced with the 'get_string' function,
  3. English strings were mostly reordered alphabetically (only a few minor changes),
  4. Modifies files to match Moodle coding rules (PHPCodeSniffer/PHPCBF/Moodle CodeChecker),
  5. Adds and modifies DocBlocks in order to comply to Moodle DocBlock rules (PHPDocumentor/PHPDoc Checker)

Happy course templating!
Flotter

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Flotter Totte

回复: Course templates plugin got huge upgrade!

by Andrew Caya -

It was great working with you, Flotter. 🙂

Looking forward to working with you again someday. 👍

Andrew

Re: Course templates plugin got huge upgrade!

by Juan Carlos Galdos -

Hello,

Is there any plan to upgrade this plugin for Moodle 4.1?

Best regards and thank you for the great work!

by Mohamed Atia -
I want to express my gratitude for the excellent plugin you've provided. While using it, I designed a course template with the Course visibility option set to "hide." Additionally, in Moodle settings, the course defaults also have Course visibility set to "hide." However, when I use the template to create a course, the course is generated with the Course visibility set to "show."

I have another query: Is there a method to enable users to create courses from templates without granting them the ability to create or restore courses in any other way? I aim to restrict course creators to exclusively using templates for course creation, disallowing other methods.

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
This works great for me as a Site Admin - but how do I allow the Manager roles to use this as well? Currently the role can create and restore courses manually through native Moodle 4.2 permissions, but the role cannot see the "Add Course from Template" option and I don't see any permissions with this plugin. Any suggestions?
Attachment templtes.png
In reply to John Provasnik

[RESOLVED] Re: Course templates plugin got huge upgrade!

by John Provasnik -
Looks like my manger role was customized. The following 2 permissions were needed to be set back to Allow: 
moodle/site:approvecourse
moodle/restore:userinfo

by John Provasnik -
New Question - on Moodle 4.1 and 4.2, it appears all courses I create with this plugin default the visibility to "Show", despite both my template being set to "Hidden" and my Site Admin Course Default visibility also being set to "Hidden". Just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced that. I placed a bug ticket on the plugin maintainer's website.
In reply to John Provasnik

by John Provasnik -
Support Responded that this may be a feature not a bug: "Thank you for reporting this problem. It would be much better if there would exist a a setting so that courses created with the template plugin are hidden. That the template setting is ignored is not a bug. Probably a good way would be to consider the default setting which you mentioned."