Course template

Course template

by Hélène Bouley -
Number of replies: 15
hy,

We would like to be able to create course from  courses templates : by template, we mean the course organisation (Weeks, Themes etc ...) , course modules, courses blocs ,  all activities, files course data and finaly the look.

The idea is to offer some pre set courses for faculties members or for some specific courses teachers.

After a few searches, I dn't see any things like that.

Is somebody working on that some where?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hélène Bouley

Re: Course template

by Art Lader -
Hi Hélène,

Would it be possible for you to create you model course with all content, blocks, etc., and then back it up and restore it whenever you need to?

Or is this not what you are looking for?

Regards,
art
In reply to Art Lader

by Hélène Bouley -
The restore/backup feature  doesn't seem to work exactly as I need. By exemple, I built   a simple course with 15 weeks, with a forum the first week, a chat the third etc ..
When I import it in a course built first with themas  all is here but not the 15 weeks and the setup for weeks othe rthan the first.

In fact,  I would like a clone

by Mike Johnson -

Are you restoring to an existing course a new course? 

I had similar problems when I tried to restore to an existing course but everything worked when I restored to a new course.

In reply to Mike Johnson

by Hélène Bouley -
My idea is to be able to do both :

- to create a new course from template
- to move a template into an old course (very useful by
example for all training courses)

Right now we use WebCT and this practice is very commun and useful , we have  all kinds of faculties templates, course templates ..

by A. T. Wyatt -
I think that backup and restore will work for you.

I have created a set of template courses which I use as the "base" for all new courses.  This is a good option when you want something a little different from the default blocks that are set in the .php files that run Moodle.  You can have different "flavors" and use them at will.  I use the backup files stored in the template course and restore to a new course.  Then you can put in the distinguishing information and assign an instructor.

If you want to put template content into an existing course, it might be harder.  In general, you can restore the template into the existing course and append it to the course instead of creating a new course or replacing the course (existing course, deleting it first).  The tricky thing about that is to make sure that your topics are aligned.  If you have some content in the template that needs to appear in topic 2, for example, it should be placed in the template's topic 2, even if template topic 1 is quite empty!  And of course you can control exactly what you append by using the checkboxes.  In the end, however, you might have to  move some things around.  Appends, if I remember correctly, place the new content at the bottom of the topic.  If you want it somewhere else, you might have to move it.

I recommend that you create a category for your templates, or work from the backups stored IN the template course as a "space" to store, restore, and work on these template courses.  It is really a bad idea to use the files area on the main course for your moodle site!  You can make a mistake with your mouse and cause all kinds of trouble!  (I should know, since I wrecked our front page about 5 times when we were first learning to administer moodle!smile  Bless my sysadmin's long-suffering heart.)

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi Hélène,

I just wanted to point you to this plugin. It has pages for you to create course templates and user templates (or profiles as I have called them) by category. It allows you to:

1. define blocks
2. define course settings (including format: weekly, topic etc)
3. create moodle activities (forum, wiki or glossary) which will all appear in the first moodle block.

Cheers,
Paolo
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Hélène Bouley -
Thanks for all these answers. I'm going to test all that very soon.  My other concern is to do every thing  in background:

I plan to create every course with imsenroll (I have modified it  to handle a lot of moodle parameters with the extension element) so I would like to be able to  do some thing like :

1) call some function backup (template x )
2) create course using backup x
This is for all faculties that have made templates.

The last interressing thing to do   is  to give  the teachers an admin   function to import a template in there courses afterwards.

We can go further with public or private templates...

by sac sam -

Hi!

I am trying to do the same, i integrate the users, teachers and courses from other aplication, and i need to ask if that exist in a past period, copy all content, or create the new course  based in a Template that have some basic content.

Any idea? to make it Undergound with out the Back up Utility?

Thanks!

In reply to sac sam

by Hélène Bouley -
I did some thing to do it and I use it from imsenterprise enrol to create course from special backup.
In fact I did a special lib that use all the backup function without using the form suite. It works quite well . I did it on a rush so I'm not really sure the style is good.
The main idea is : have a function with all course parameters set and create this course from a backup (backup must exist)

The best will be to backup the course just in time and not in advance. Right now it gave me a lot and I can easily create x courses with the same content so ...

by Pedro Jiménez -
hello, I have the same problem Hellem.

The enrollment with IMS and I would like using a template, generated courses and think they have a certain content.

After testing a solution and not finding time I opened the following tracker: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-20202

Have you worked Hellem?

Thanks

回复: Course template

by ming zhao -
I think if this is a solution:

Create a "template course"
Create a empty course "course2"
Get into "course2" - Import - choose "template course" from the option "Courses I have taught"
Click "Use the course"
Then following the process.

I did success to move one course to a new empty one. Hope it helps.
In reply to ming zhao

Re: 回复: Course template

by Karen West -

Thank you Ming, that worked for me.

In reply to Karen West

by Francesco Nano -
In reply to Francesco Nano

by Alejandro Michavila Pallarés -

I'm also looking for importing a template course with all activity modules imported without luck:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=159345

This:

Create a "template course"
Create a empty course "course2"
Get into "course2" - Import - choose "template course" from the option "Courses I have taught"
Click "Use the course"
Then following the process.

Doesn't work for importing activity modules.