Interpreting CBM grades after installing Plus files

Interpreting CBM grades after installing Plus files

by Oleg Melnikov -
Number of replies: 3

Hi All. We are trying out CBM quizzes in our courses and are really loving this feature! The Plus files are installed to normalize grades to 0-100% range, which appears to work well, but some questions remain. Below is a print screen of a quiz report (Immediate feedback with CBM), where the CBM-free grade is 70%, CBM bonus is 1% and the CBM Accuracy is 71%, which makes sense. 

How can I interpret Grade / 2.00 of 0.72, which is 36% (also showing up in Gradebook)? How is it calculated? Shouldn't grade of 71% show up in Moodle Gradebook? Notably, Grade line below shows 1.42 out of 2.00 (71%). What other information might be helpful?

Moodle version is 3.9.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Oleg Melnikov

Re: Interpreting CBM grades after installing Plus files

by Joseph Liaw -
Hi Oleg:

It might be that your CBMplus files aren't installed correctly--they have to be merged with the Moodle core files (I had messed that up the first time I tried)--the other possibility is if the quiz had any edits or changes after it was taken in the points / scores which would mess up the original weighting.

Normally, the CBMplus code works great and it's a nice way for students to reflect on their understanding, especially if you let them talk and work in groups. Normally, I don't like True / False questions, but CBM allows even true/false to be useful for reviewing and clearing up common misconceptions and misunderstandings!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Liaw

File updates for CBM-plus with Moodle 3.11.6

by Tony Gardner-Medwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Files to upgrade CBM with the latest Moodle update 3.11.6 are now available at https://tmedwin.net/cbm/moodle/download/ . For background information see https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/Using_certainty-based_marking .

I would really like to collaborate with anyone with suitable knowledge of Moodle and Git, motivated to improve the core Moodle code for CBM. Do please contact me directly at ucgbarg@ucl.ac.uk since I don't often look at this forum. If you have any puzzles or problems with CBM, put them up here and/or contact me.

Tony Gardner-Medwin

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tony Gardner-Medwin

Re: File updates for CBM-plus with Moodle 3.11.6

by Joseph Liaw -

+1 to incorporate Tony's brilliant CBMplus into the Moodle core, since the current CBM built into the core is using Tony's old code.

The CBMplus code makes CBM practical for most classroom teachers since it scales grades from 0 - 100 (instead of the CBM score of potentially -600 to +300) with the CBM accuracy bonus, which is a useful tool for student reflection and self-assessment during learning!

For example, usually I don't like to use true/false questions, but CBM makes true/false questions actually useful since students can't just guess randomly and need to reflect on their confidence level.  If you let your students work on teams, the discussions they have during class are fun to listen in on as they work through formative assessment questions and debate the key concepts for each unit!  Plus, there is the "gamification" effect that CBM allows students to have in betting their confidence level!

Thank you Tony for sharing your brilliant work with the Moodle and open source community, especially during the last 2 years of pandemic era learning to help support our students!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)