Entry spaces of equal size for SHORTANSWER embedded questions

Entry spaces of equal size for SHORTANSWER embedded questions

by Mão Doãn -
Number of replies: 6

Hi everyone, 

I'd like to have the entry spaces for SHORTANSWER with equal sizes so that students won't be able to guess the answers based on how long they are. I did some research but haven't found how.  Could you please tell me how to configure it?

Thank you very much.

Doan 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mão Doãn

Re: Entry spaces of equal size for SHORTANSWER embedded questions

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Are you talking about standalone SHORTANSWER questions or about SHORTANSWER questions embedded in a CLOZE question?
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Oops! Just realized that the OP had mentioned "embedded questions" in the title of his post. blush
In reply to Mão Doãn

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Doan,

This is a relatively frequent request. The feature of adding a random number of spaces to the maximum width in order to prevent it from being used to guess the correct answer seems to be, in several cases, a not-so-good idea.

I would happily try to write a patch to the original core question to allow teachers to choose between fixed or variable width input boxes, if I thought that would be implemented.

As a workaround, you can add a line of CSS or the equivalent JavaScript code. See Equal width short answers ↗.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
For my Gapfill question type I added an option called Fixed gap size, that works out the widest gap and then made all gaps that width. I don't know if that is a good/better solution.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Mão Doãn -

Hi Mr. Dominique Bauer,

Thank you very much. It worked really well. I added the code at the site level, for a range of sizes from 3 to 20 so that the teachers can decide which fits best. 

Yes, it's not a good idea when the width is too large, and also when students can't cheat based on the width, for example, when the answers are of roughly equal length. But in many cases, it is really useful to have a choice of having the entry spaces of equal width. 

Thank you very much for your help.

Doan

Average of ratings: Useful (1)