Let students review quizzes (and answers) after they're closed.

Let students review quizzes (and answers) after they're closed.

by Gregory Whitten -
Number of replies: 12

Hello,

I have been looking at past discussions for an answer on this topic (e.g., "Students can't review quiz after it closes" from March 2017), but have not found an answer to what should be an easy request.

I give my students several MCQ quizzes throughout the term.  The quizzes consist of questions drawn randomly from a testbank of many questions.

The quiz is open during a 24 hour period.  Students can start the quiz at any time and have up to 1 hour to take the quiz at most 2 times.  I record the highest grade.  Students know after each attempt whether their submitted answer were correct or not.  If the response to any question were incorrect, students do not know what was the correct answer.

I thought that I set things up so that, after the quiz closed, students could go back and see the correct answer (along with feedback).  Here is an example:

Yet, students have told me that they cannot view the quiz at all after the quiz is closed.  I have logged on in a student role and also been unable to review quizzes.

Any thoughts on what to do?  I don't know what version of Moodle my university knows (I'm here on a Saturday and there's nobody around to ask but I will let you know when I find out).  Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gregory Whitten

Re: Let students review quizzes (and answers) after they're closed.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That looks like it is set up right. What do you see when you log in as a student and try to access the quiz?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I use quizzes in nearly the identical way. If I log in as a student, I can review the quiz and see which questions were missed. Gregory, as Tim suggests, try logging in as the student instead of using student role.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Gregory Whitten -
As I stated in my original post, when " I have logged on in a student role and also been unable to review quizzes."

by Rick Jerz -
Yes, from your screenshots I see that you are logged in as "student" role, but that is not what we are suggesting. We are suggesting to click on a student in this course, and then log in as that student. Alternatively, you can enroll a "dummy" student and then log in as that student. The "student" role sometimes doesn't show everything.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Gregory Whitten -

I am not sure what you mean by log in as a specific student.  I have found this link:

https://teaching.nmc.edu/knowledgebase/switching-roles-in-moodle/

and looked for the "Log in as" option in the Administrative block but do not see it:

by Rick Jerz -
Go to your course, click on Participants, then click on one of your students, and finally "Log in As."
Attachment Log In As.png
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Gregory Whitten -

I see the following:

or the following:

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The key word there is 'Preview'. Previews are not real attempts. Therefore, the reason the attempt cannot be reviewed is that no attempts exist. See MDL-54875 for more background.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Gregory Whitten -
So that means that, under my setup, students cannot view quizzes after they quizzes are closed because I give them only 2 attempts?

by Tim Hunt -
It does not mean that at all.

by Gregory Whitten -
Here is feedback that I have now received from the tech person in my university's teaching and learning centre:

and

Do his conclusions seem correct?

by Rick Jerz -
No, your support person is not correct.

Yes, it is correct to set those "After the quiz is closed" options, not necessarily all of them, but certainly "The attempt." This is required if you have a "close date" for the quiz.

No, there is not a requirement to "allow unlimited attempts" for students to be able to review their previous quiz.
No, there is no requirement to set "allow review" under "while quiz is still open" for students to be able to review their attempts after the quiz closes.  These are two different things.

If you decide not to use a close date by unchecking the enable checkbox, then those "After the quiz is closed" do not mean anything. Those setting will either be unavailable, if you disable the due date checkbox prior to clicking any of the After the quiz is closed" checkboxes, or greyed out if you happen to set a due date and some of the "After the quiz is closed" checkboxes then uncheck the enable due date checkbox.  However, if you do decide to disable the due date and want students to be able to review their results, then "The attempt" under "While the quiz is open" must be checked.

I am still not sure if you are logging in as a student to see what a student actually sees.