Quiz Activity Completion showing "not completed" instead of "fail"

Quiz Activity Completion showing "not completed" instead of "fail"

by Cédric Mallet -
Number of replies: 10

I have a quiz with a passing grade, one attempt only. using moodle 3.10

The activity report is showing a green check for the students who passed the minimum grade. But instead of showing a red cross for those who failed, it shows a blank square and indicates the activity as "not completed".

Here are the activity completion settings for the quiz. Should I untick the "require passing grade" ?

many thanks,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cédric Mallet

Re: Quiz Activity Completion showing "not completed" instead of "fail"

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
This screen capture displays the Activity completion settings for the course,
What are the conditions for quiz completion?
How is the gradebook set-up for Pass and Fail (look at Letter settings).
Kind Regards
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Cédric Mallet -

Hi Shirley

I've left the grade category as Uncategorized, we don't need anything else regarding the grade book.

The quiz grade settings are as follows:

Interestingly, the grade book shows passing grades in green and fail in red, so the whole setup seems correct. It's just the activity completion report which displays the quiz as "not completed" for students who failed. It only works for those who passed.

The grade item is set as default.

regards,

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
How did you set up your Gradebook?
Did you edit the Letter values = <75 Pass >74 is Fail?
Kind Regards

by Cédric Mallet -
We haven't set anything in the grade book, just the pass grade in the quiz settings.

The letters are set as default :

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
So your gradebook letter values do not match the grade to Pass set in the quiz activity. If 70 is pass, 69 is fail. The Grade letters need to be updated to display the Pass/Fail values, not the delivered values A-F. For your requirement 75 to pass would be the top value, and 74 would be the second value for Fail. We allow multiple attempts, so we encourage them to retake the quiz. All of the other values must be removed. 
You will also need to update the conditions for Course grade settings>Overview and User report = show letter grades vs. real grade.

by Cédric Mallet -
that makes sense, thank you for the details. The grade book is much more accurate.

yet, this does not seem to change the activity completion report. Below are the grade book and activity completion report for a student who failed the test. Still no red cross here sad

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Yes, you are correct. What I provides only makes the Gradebook easy to read. I should have read your question more carefully. The Course Activities and Course Completion Reports do not completely display the same values as the Grades page. An instructor/Admin looking at either report cannot determine if the Student did not attempt the quiz or did not pass the quiz.
For that to display, Moodle would have to have a secondary value in the Quiz Activity Completion condition. Pass, Complete = pass grade and submitted attempt and Fail, Complete = fail grade and submitted attempt.
However, re-examining your screen capture - If you deselect the Require Pass Grade and select All Available Attempts Complete I wonder if that would provide the red X in the Course Activity Report.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Cédric Mallet -
I'd be happy to try. But is going to delete existing attempts ? if the attempts details are kept and the completion data are rebuilt, I'll try immediately.
thank you

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
I backed up a small course I have, unlocked the completions, and changed the Quiz Activity Completion conditions - to attempts.
1. it did wipe out the current completions for the students who did successfully complete the course.
2. the change in conditions, did nothing!
3. I also manually ran the completion cron jobs, the activity completion and course completion reports did not update. Not for the students who successfully completed the course, or the status of the students who did not achieve a passing grade.

In concept, if a student successfully completes the quiz and the quiz activity attempt is only allowed when all course activities have been completed - a student with a passing grade did complete all course activities.

Kind Regards

by Cédric Mallet -

I think I found the issue. I ran a test with another quiz with the following settings, and the failed attempts are reported on the activity completion.

The issue seems to be with the "require passing grade". If checked, failed attempts are disregarded. When left unchecked, they appear as complete/failed attempts.

Thank you for your help Shirley.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)