Awarding Badges as a Surprising Notification

by Kushan Rathnasekara -
Number of replies: 4

Dear All,

Appreciate if you could guide me on the following with regad to the badge/certificate awarding.

When a learner receives a badge/certificate they are not getting any surprising notification other than go the profile and checking badges and email /general notification.

I'm looking for a solution when a learner got a badge/certificate alert them as a surprise pop up something like well-done- You earned a badge name - with a surprising sound. Is it possible? Pls assist.

Further, suppose in completion of activity we made another activity activated through restriction. Is there any way to alert the learners that the hidden activity/disabled activity has been activated as you have completed this activity successfully and click here to visit the new activity or something like that ?

Really appreciate your guidance.

Kushan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kushan Rathnasekara

by Stefan Scholz -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Kushan,

I like the idea of a „surprising notification“ - something that stands out to inform students about very important events.

And I do know one plugin that does it: level up - whenever you reach a new level, a modal is shown automatically.

Usually, you would use a label which is hidden until the restrictions are met, maybe with a background colour, and/or a nice image included. But that only shows up on the course page and is certainly not what you have in your mind.

Our plugin pulse (which is based upon a label originally) does allow you to send out a notification to the student when it becomes available. We use it for scenarios like drip fed content or congratulation messages or reminders. You can download it here:
https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_pulse or test it on our test site labs.bdecent.de

We’ll discuss internally if we can add a modal like level up does and let you know here.

Hope this helps!
Stefan
Attachment F9803C41-9D5E-4FA5-84B0-A028FDA38A56.png
In reply to Stefan Scholz

Re: Awarding Badges as a Surprising Notification

by Carolina Blackman -

Hi Stefan

What type of notifications a studen can get by using Pulse?, E-mails?, I'm checking and you have reminders options but I don't understand how students get that reminders.

In reply to Carolina Blackman

by Stefan Scholz -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Carolina,

Pulse uses Moodle's notification system. That means that it will use the configured message channel, which by default is email, but could also be web notification, mobile notification or others that you have installed on your site.

The most common causes of issues are:

• Course has not yet started (pulse only sends notifications for courses that have a start date in the past)
  • When using email notifications: email not setup properly
  • Users have disabled messaging
  • The pulse activity is hidden (it only sends notifications when it's available; stealth mode is ok)

Feel free to contact us via https://chat.bdecent.de or schedule an online session with us using https://bdecent.de/schedule and we'll figure it out together!

Hope this helps!
Stefan

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stefan Scholz

by Carolina Blackman -
Hi Stefan, ella the information you send me here and in chat was very helpful. The plugin is working fine now!

I just changed the max execution time and memory limit.