Knowledge Base with User File Access Tracking

by Devin D. -
Number of replies: 5

Hello all!

I'm pretty new to Moodle in general, but I'm working on an instance for training in my organization and have a specific need that I haven't found a solution for yet.

We are currently using Moodle 3.11.4, and I'm looking for the best way to have a knowledge base that users can access PDFs or pages for reference material outside of a course (SDS, or Safety Data Sheets), and we need to be able to see when a given user or users have accessed any of those files or pages.

My boss and I were thinking about posting a Single Activity Format course for each file and track the completion dates for the "students", but we have over one hundred (100) files, so that would be a bit kludgy in my view.  Are there any best practice ways of doing this, or any plugins available to help?

Thanks in advance! 😁

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Devin D.

by Stefan Scholz -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Devin,

Here’s what I would do:

Create one course per topic - I’m sure there is some kind of structure that would sense to group so many documents. Place the documents in those courses, ideally again structured using sections in those courses. Having to levels might be to much for your use cases then you can either use one course only but with sections, or many courses with no sections.

Each file should then be configured with activity completion set to „require view“. This will enable you to easily track the first time a user opened the file. And each additional time can be seen in the logs.

Depending on the way you have setup your moodle site and if you want to use it for other purposes, you’ll then want to enrol your users somehow into the course(s) - either using self enrolment, cohort sync or maybe auto enrolment (plugin required).

Optional but i’d recommend it:
In order to provide a simple interface, and if you’re willing to do the extra effort, I’d then create a site wide glossary where you create one entry for each file. Use the glossary entry to provide an abstract, keywords and a link to the file activity. This brings the following benefits:
- search
- tagging
- alternate keywords/names
- categories
- alphabetical order
….

Using a database would also work, and if you don’t mind a little html/css, you could make it look really nice!

The idea is essentially using activity completion for tracking, use courses and/or course sections as folders for your files and a glossary/database as interface.

Let me know if that makes sense for you 😊

Best
Stefan
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Stefan Scholz

Re: Knowledge Base with User File Access Tracking

by Devin D. -
I'm working on getting a proof of concept for my boss and our operations team. Thanks for the help Stefan!

I'm curious how to tie a database to a trackable knowledge base. Could you shed some light on that for me? I'll be back at the office on Monday, but I'll try to log in during the weekend if you respond before then.
In reply to Devin D.

by Stefan Scholz -
Hi Devin,

I've created a little demo course with both a database and a glossary as "interface". It's all in one course, only because I wanted it to be self-contained.

https://labs.bdecent.de/course/view.php?id=66
I've enabled guest access so that you don't need to login, but you won't be able to see everything without logging in. You can create your own account (self registration is enabled) or use demo/moodle (student) or teacher/moodler (editingteacher).

It's really only a proof of concept, but with a little love and css, I'm sure it could become pretty shiny smile

Cheers
Stefan

Screenshot of the database:
Attachment Screenshot 2021-11-15 at 01.40.43.png
In reply to Stefan Scholz

by Devin D. -
This is great stuff Stefan, thanks for sharing!

I setup a database on my own Moodle instance and noticed that it doesn't show which specific database entry was accessed... Is there a way to make that happen? If so, this is the perfect solution for my needs.

Also, I never thought about putting a chat option on Moodle like Tidio Chat, so extra kudos there! big grin
In reply to Devin D.

by Stefan Scholz -
Hi Devin,

my suggested approach was to use the database only as frontend, because it provides an interface which is easy to customise to your needs (e.g. search, metadata displayed, a grid layout etc)

Each file should be its own activity (like it my demo course), I.e. you’ll track in each activity, not in the database.

Here’s what I wrote:
„Each file should then be configured with activity completion set to „require view“. This will enable you to easily track the first time a user opened the file. And each additional time can be seen in the logs.“

I am not aware that a report is available for the database itself.

Hope this helps!
Stefan