E-Mail based authentication...plus one time access code?

E-Mail based authentication...plus one time access code?

by Jason Hollowell -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi all,

I've been searching for an authentication plugin that will allow me to do the following:

1. Enable e-mail based self-authentication

2. In addition to the default required information, I want to provide an access code (via a QR code) to limit who will be authenticating on the site. I understand that if the access code gets widely distributed, it's functionality will be diminished but I don't foresee that being a big problem. The ability to periodically (once a year...?) change the code will be additionally helpful. (Note - the access code will be distributed in hard copy format. I'm not looking for something issued periodically (ever 60 seconds etc.) online.)

Is anyone aware of an existing plugin that provides this kind of functionality?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice provided.

Jason

Edit -> P.S. Maybe the "Enrollment key based self-registration" plugin is what I need? And, if so, maybe I can update it for 3.11 🤨

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Hollowell

Re: E-Mail based authentication...plus one time access code?

by Jason Hollowell -
All,

I'm responding to myself here simply for the purpose of documenting my search and trials. I installed the "Enrollment key based self-registration" on Moodle 3.11 and got no errors at the time of install.

I activated the authentication method and selected it from the self-enrollment settings page as directed in the instructions.

When trying to create a new account using the enrollment key I made, I get the following error: "The enrolment key you have entered is invalid"

When trying to create a new account leaving the enrollment key field empty I get: "Enrollment key required" <-- Someting like that

I turned debugging all the way up on my site and can verify that the plugin is not throwing any coding errors. So, my guess is that the auth_test.php code (or somewhere else) is not matching the existing enrollment key (password). I see the password being set correctly in the database in a self enrollment instance so that is working correctly. 

I understand that funding is required to get the plugin updated by the developer, which is understandable, but I don't have access to funds at the moment so I'm trying to do it the hard way. Wonder if anyone has worked on trying to update this plugin for 3.11?

Regards

Jason
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jason Hollowell

Re: E-Mail based authentication...plus one time access code?

by Jason Hollowell -
Just a quick addition here. I managed to get this working on 3.11. It's really quite simple actually. Just go to the GitHub page where the plugin is located and download the branch titled VERSION3.

Here is a direct link to the page which is also available on the plugin page here on Moodle.org. --> https://github.com/catalyst/moodle-auth_enrolkey

Don't forget to change the title of the package that is installed to --> enrolkey

It will update the current version you have installed if you've installed from the Plugins directory here on Moodle.

Cheers

Jason
Average of ratings: Useful (1)